Make Breakable shattering objects immediately on groundplane

12959   16   2
7 posts
Hello, I have a slight problem. When I make an object that is standing on an groundplane to “MakeBreakable” it shatters instantly. How Can I make it so that it doesn't shatter instantly from only standing on the ground plane?

Zid
14 posts
zidhjian
Hello, I have a slight problem. When I make an object that is standing on an groundplane to “MakeBreakable” it shatters instantly. How Can I make it so that it doesn't shatter instantly from only standing on the ground plane?

Zid

So here you can do couple of things you can activate your object only when some other object hits it or you can increase the minimum and maximum impacts in the fracture parm node……
Hope this helps….

Cheers
2624 posts
Hi,
See attached. Make breakable is useful if you want to smash an object in dops , ie ball hits ground and smashes. in the example Ive just used a simple active dop to control when the ball is added to the sim > it falls then breaks on impact

rob

Attachments:
rse_rbd_active.hip (287.6 KB)

Gone fishing
7 posts
Ok thanks.
How do I actually do this? Sorry im a newb.

Himanshu.joshi
zidhjian

Zid

So here you can do couple of things you can activate your object only when some other object hits it or you can increase the minimum and maximum impacts in the fracture parm node……
Hope this helps….

Cheers
14 posts
zidhjian
Ok thanks.

Himanshu.joshi
zidhjian

Zid

Hope this helps….

Cheers

Here is the file with both examples….

Cheers

Attachments:
Fracture_parm_fix.hip (406.6 KB)

7 posts
Thanks for the wonderful example!
Jus't a small thing, in the Getting Started tutorial “quickstart” he doesn't do anything to the nodes when he makes them breakable, they seem to be in default stage and the pillars doesn't break until the ball hit's them.
When I do as in the tutorial it's totally different, they break immediately.
So is there something different in the current version of the software than when the tutorial was made or?

Zid

Himanshu.joshi
zidhjian
Ok thanks.

Himanshu.joshi
zidhjian

Zid

Hope this helps….

Cheers

Cheers
14 posts
zidhjian
Thanks for the wonderful example!
Jus't a small thing, in the Getting Started tutorial “quickstart” he doesn't do anything to the nodes when he makes them breakable, they seem to be in default stage and the pillars doesn't break until the ball hit's them.
When I do as in the tutorial it's totally different, they break immediately.
So is there something different in the current version of the software than when the tutorial was made or?

Zid

Himanshu.joshi
zidhjian
Ok thanks.

Himanshu.joshi
zidhjian

Zid

Hope this helps….

Cheers

Cheers

Hey,
about the tutorial thing I haven't watched that tutorial yet so I cant say whats going on in there……….
2624 posts
They explode immediately as the bullet solver is default > switch to RBD solver. in DOPs . Read up on the difference between convex and concave as bullet has a preference.

rob
Gone fishing
74 posts
I can confirm the problem that zidhjan has.

I've made the pillar tutorial a while ago with an older version of houdini ( I think it was H11) and every think works like as expected. Now I recreated this tutorial with H12 - a simple polygon cylinder standing on a ground plane. When you make your cylinder breakable it instantly shatters ….. it looks like something as changed ….. or it is a bug!!

cheers
nico
2624 posts
Hi,
See attached. For the solver in DOPs I am using the RBD solver instead of bullet.

Attachments:
rse_simaple_makebreakable.hip (289.1 KB)

Gone fishing
74 posts
Hi circusmonkey,

thank you for your scene!
The strange thing is …. I did the same as you did in your scene - I tried both bullet and RBD solver - but it breaks apart from beginning….

When I load your scene everything is fine!

I'm working with H12.0683 on Mac ….
What version of houdini do you work with?
2624 posts
I will try on my OSX platform > If my scene works for you the platform should not make a difference.

Rob
Gone fishing
12 posts
making this subject active again:

I too am having the same issue, also on OS X. Has anyone confirmed that this is an issue with ‘make breakable’ on Mac?

I've tried changing the solver to ‘RBD’ but that just seems to break the sim completely- no eval at all, the wrecking ball does not even eval anymore. I've tried this as a simple case as well, with just a block and a ball with the same results.

Attachments:
badFracture.jpg (272.0 KB)

Houdini 16 & 15.5 Indie Limited-Commercial
Windows 7 64-bit OS i7-6950X 3.00GHz
128 GB RAM 2x GeForce GTX 1080
12 posts
In case anyone else comes across this, here is how I got this to work:

Yes, you must have your solver set to “RBD”- however, if you try to switch to “RBD” After you “make breakable” you are screwed- it just breaks the sim and nothing happens. So, after you convert the column and the sphere to “RBD Objects” immediately double-click on ‘AutoDopNetwork’, select rigidbodysolver, and change Solver type to “RBD”

Then you can continue the lesson, select the column group and click “Make Breakable”.

Houdini 16 & 15.5 Indie Limited-Commercial
Windows 7 64-bit OS i7-6950X 3.00GHz
128 GB RAM 2x GeForce GTX 1080
2 posts
That worked perfectly, thanks a lot Tony.

Tony Hudson
In case anyone else comes across this, here is how I got this to work:

Yes, you must have your solver set to “RBD”- however, if you try to switch to “RBD” After you “make breakable” you are screwed- it just breaks the sim and nothing happens. So, after you convert the column and the sphere to “RBD Objects” immediately double-click on ‘AutoDopNetwork’, select rigidbodysolver, and change Solver type to “RBD”

Then you can continue the lesson, select the column group and click “Make Breakable”.

471 posts
hi friends
seems when i create simulation in houdini with default setting it has a lot of problem for example make breakable work very bad with bullet
i choose RBD solver instead of bullet solver.
first collision between my cube and ground is not right please see attach file for this problem.
how can i solve this?

Attachments:
Cuble & ground.hip (320.4 KB)

80 posts
Bumping up this old thread for anyone else going through this older tutorial [vimeo.com]…
and it does work with the Bullet solver!

You just need to adjust the Min/Max Impact values on the Vornoi Fracture Configure Object node “fractureparms”. Raising the minimum impact to a high enough value prevents the initial fracturing. (Just like Himanshu.joshi said)

I also changed the Geometry Representation on the columns' RBD Pack Object node to Convex Hull which made the collisions much more accurate. Works great!

Its a little frustrating doing the older tutes because of the major changes to certain nodes but finding the way to get it to work in the latest version is proving to be a good exercise.
Edited by Rebus B - 2018年1月4日 19:38:54
  • Quick Links