Softimage to Houdini guides

216725   335   9
スタッフ
5156 posts
In the Shading AOVs, p 216 . talking about more network traffic and exrs with tons of extra image layers; Do you still have issues now with Exr2? It's meant to just load in the layers pulled, not the entire file as in Exr1.

The OpenEXR lib allows you to select the channels you want to read, and has for quite some time. COPs and MPlay will only load and decompress the data that it needs for that frame, and this gives a pretty big performance boost for reading a small subset of channels from a huge EXR file. So at least with Houdini, it comes down to how much disk space you have available.
655 posts
Thanks, will fix that.
4189 posts
twod
COPs and MPlay will only load and decompress the data that it needs for that frame, and this gives a pretty big performance boost for reading a small subset of channels from a huge EXR file. So at least with Houdini, it comes down to how much disk space you have available.

The lesson here for all is never underestimate the power of COPs
7024 posts
SYmek
VOPs networks as a mean for custom shader creation were introduced in Houdini 5.5 afaik, that is 12 years ago!
Yes, 5.5 was a happy, happy release.
655 posts
I have been using COPs extensively, more as an image engine than to do final composite and they are extremely useful for me, the fact that you can embed a COP network in an asset and run it to create composition is incredibly interesting.

My only thing is that they need some love, specially I miss a tracker as this will feed data to SOPs and the power of such a possibility would amazing.

:-)

MartybNz
twod
COPs and MPlay will only load and decompress the data that it needs for that frame, and this gives a pretty big performance boost for reading a small subset of channels from a huge EXR file. So at least with Houdini, it comes down to how much disk space you have available.

The lesson here for all is never underestimate the power of COPs
1 posts
I'll keep an eye on this topic. Thanks for your guides, Jordi!
Martin Contel
Square Enix (Visual Works)
655 posts
Finally I have put together a brief outline of how to construct Material Libraries like you would do in XSI

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22l2sx82m75buxj/H-0buUQAUP [dropbox.com]

HoudiniGuides_Shading_5_MaterialLibraries.pdf

This wraps Shading and if any of you want to suggest any other particular I will try to add it, in the next day I will consolidate it in one single document (shading that is) like I did with general concepts.

Enjoy
Edited by - 2014年5月6日 09:46:47

Attachments:
plan_v3.jpg (121.5 KB)

99 posts
Jordi,
that is an interesting approach to HDAs, other option might be:

1 material - 1 HDA,
group of those materials(HDAs) saved to same .otl (metals.otl?) and diplayed in separate TAB sub menu (not sure about galleries but they might help too)

EDIT: or is it something you'll speak about in Digital Assets section?
655 posts
owlYzarc
Jordi,
that is an interesting approach to HDAs, other option might be:

1 material - 1 HDA,
group of those materials(HDAs) saved to same .otl (metals.otl?) and diplayed in separate TAB sub menu (not sure about galleries but they might help too)

EDIT: or is it something you'll speak about in Digital Assets section?

I have not tried but if you consider in my previous library I have close to 500 materials maintaining these, versioning them and probably loading will be more painful if each material is an HDA.

I think these materials will be then copied to the project, then modified by adding scratches, dust, etc… and used on the the project so you end up with a per project library so it could be very cumbersome I think

Anyway, if you give it a go I would love to know your results.
1 posts
Thanks Jordi,

The Guides are very usefull.

Dan
655 posts
Thanks, well, I have now wrapped the shading chapter… moving onto the lighting one tonight.
147 posts
Dude,

you're a machine! :shock:

SideFX should pay you for this, or buy you beer :wink:
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
84 posts
Wow thats a really amazing. Also for guys like me coming form 3dsmax. So you will bring a lot of new (XSI)users to sidefx…
655 posts
Thanks a lot for your support… it is tough to find the time but I am on a mission here to make sure the transition is as easy as possible.

I will accept beers though.

;-)
655 posts
Well, tweaked the names of the files to reflect chapters, consolidated the first two chapters;

HoudiniGuides_Chapter1_GeneralConcepts.pdf
HoudiniGuides_Chapter2_Shading.pdf

and we are starting now Chapter3 first delivery…

HoudiniGuides_Chapter3_Lighting_1_TypesOfLights

As usual in my dropbox folder

enjoy
Edited by - 2014年5月6日 09:46:54
29 posts
Its time for a celebration
655 posts
You guys are going to love this one… inspiring day

HoudiniGuides_Chapter3_Lighting_2_RealWorldLights.pdf

And very interesting thing to see Pixar has embraced fully this approach I have been banging about for more than 6 years (the guys at The Mill know very well)…

Have a look at minute 55 onwards to see PBR in its full glory
http://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/b/514486710 [twitch.tv]
Edited by - 2014年5月6日 09:47:00
655 posts
Wow, I must be doing something right!!!

Please allow me to put it somewhere else in the meantime and I will get back to you as soon as I have it.

Sorry for the disturbance…

Attachments:
dropbox.jpg (181.5 KB)

655 posts
Finally upgraded my Dropbox Account, everything back to normal.
29 posts
Seriously? I hope you didn't have to cash out for that, is there any way we can reimburse you… How about loads of beers next time we all visit London.
  • Quick Links