Importing smoke streamers into SOP

3556   5   2
224 posts
Hi all,

I have a smoke sim in dop. I can visualize the smoke velocity in dop using ‘streamers’ (see Smoke Object > Guides).

I would now like to import these streamers back into SOP. Is it possible?

Patrick
Patrick
224 posts
Thanks pusat. I took a look at that discussion, and I am getting closer, but not quite there yet. Your link helped me find this page in the docs:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/dyno/io [sidefx.com]

DopImport seems to be the right node. I have tried a few things that have not worked. They key part seems to be this:

network path[:name]

But I am not sure where to entre this to get my streamers. See attached file. Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments:
trial_wind_tunnel_pj.hipnc (593.8 KB)

Patrick
224 posts
I think I got it now - it works. Thanks

Attachments:
trial_wind_tunnel_pj2.hipnc (583.5 KB)

Patrick
スタッフ
2540 posts
It's all namespace to fetch data out of DOPs.

Don't worry about the expressions that are put in place by the shelf tools.

The key is to open up the Geometry Spreadsheet (Details View) while in your DOP network. There you will see the DOP objects. Lets say your smoke object is called pyro (default from shelf setup).

Inside the pyro smoke object, there is a list of data. Some of this data is actual geometry. Any geometry bound to any simulation object can be fetched by the DOP Import SOP.

In the case of a smoke object, you may want to fetch the fields/volumes name (very important to note that it is the “name” of the data that is important, namespace it is).

density
temperature
vel

In the DOP Import SOP, your path could be (remember it's just a path to the sim network):
/obj/pyro_sim
and the object name would be:
pyro
and then the geometry would be:
density
temperature
vel

That's it.

Again you can data mine anything out of a simulation object, no matter what it is, as long as the data you are fetching is actual geometry that can be read in to SOPs geometry.

Using the Geometry Spreadsheet takes the mystery out of all of this.
There's at least one school like the old school!
224 posts
Thanks Jeff!
Patrick
  • Quick Links