Issue render mantra surface (refraction, shadow and light)

5213   7   1
18 posts
Hi everybody, hope all of you have a nice week, :wink:

Unfortunately, i got a problem with a mantra surface rendering. I've started to create a mantra surface for water (so mainly created with reflection and refraction). When i render the flip fluid with the mentra surface, I get a transparency and clear surface (more or less). But when i add a light (distant light) in my scene, i got a black and thick shader (see the picture bellow), it looks like there is no more refraction.

When i try to change the values of the refraction there is nothing happens…The refraction doesn't works anymore when the light is active.
I also discovered when i turn of the shadows in the light settings, the mantrasurface comes back well (is it the way to go ? :? )

So the probleme looks come from shadow and refraction, no ?

So if there is someone here who knows how could i manage to have correctly my shader and the same time have a light in my scene, because at this time i'm not able to have my shader with shadow and light.
I put some pictures and my scene bellow

Thanks in advance, Cordially

Attachments:
ShadingFluidIssue.hiplc (2.2 MB)
SurfaceMantraWithLight.PNG (346.5 KB)
SurfaceMantraNoLight.PNG (822.4 KB)

Want to learn more and more…
59 posts
Is it adding an Env light an option?
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
18 posts
Hey, thx for your reply, when i add an env. light it does exactly the same probleme. With every kind of light I got the same probleme, i think the issue is about shadow and the materiel refraction….Because it seems when the shadows is active, the refraction became passive. :cry:
59 posts
marles
Hey, thx for your reply, when i add an env. light it does exactly the same probleme. With every kind of light I got the same probleme, i think the issue is about shadow and the materiel refraction….Because it seems when the shadows is active, the refraction became passive. :cry:

Really? That's strange, I did a quick test today and it seemed to work.
I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Hope someone more experienced will jump in.
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
18 posts
Ok thx a lot for your time. Yeah it's relally strange, maybe i have a mistake in my shader (mantra surface). Why it would work in your scene and not in mine ? What kind of shader did you use for your quick test from today ?
If you can post your test scene, I would be grateful to you.

Thx again
59 posts
Not much time unfortunately, but I did another test.
I didn't investigate the Distant Light though, I actually never use that type of light.
With Area Light no issues:

Then the shader needs tweaking for sure, but shadows are there.
One thing, I ended up using the Glass shader as I've found it faster to tweak than the Mantra Surface for what concerns Refraction.

I guess it won't be much useful as you're using Distant Light, anyway, here's the file just in case…

http://wikisend.com/download/357250/Houdini.zip [wikisend.com]
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
18 posts
Hi verysame, thanks again for your help and your time.
You got a really good idea to start with a glass shader, i did like you and now it works, i think i made a mistake on my mantra surface.

After tweaking the glass shader it's all good, so thx a lot for your help
59 posts
marles
Hi verysame, thanks again for your help and your time.
You got a really good idea to start with a glass shader, i did like you and now it works, i think i made a mistake on my mantra surface.

After tweaking the glass shader it's all good, so thx a lot for your help

That's a great news, I'm glad that it did work!
Andrew
Houdini Apprentice
  • Quick Links