OSX 10.11.2 good to go for H15?

14256   58   5
34 posts
I too get constant crashes with bones and Nvidia web driver with my GTX 680 but so far it looks stable when using the default driver (the problem is that openCL crashes with the default but not with the web driver so it's back and forth until they fix it).
4189 posts
Yep it is disappointing that the new 367 branch in 10.12 doesn't fix the bones crash, or general instability.
5 posts
If it makes you feel any better, Maya 2016 immediately crashes in Viewport 2.0 mode under Win10 with new Nvidia 1070 cards from both Asus and eVGA if we set one of our scenes to view textures, with Maya set to use OpenGL. It doesn't crash when set to DirectX but then the textures don't show up at all. I've got a Gigabyte or other vendor in my machine and though Maya 2016 is terribly unstable in general I don't have the graphics related crashes.
4189 posts
pockets
If it makes you feel any better.

The OsX GLSL bug has been identified and has been submitted to Nvidia. Not sure why Maya on Windows has anything to do with this?
5 posts
Really?
4189 posts
pockets
Really?

What's the connection you see?
4189 posts
Fwiw Found a better glsl code change to fix the ‘Bone’ handle crash on Nvidia 980 & MacOs.

Change the ‘vec4’ to ‘vec3’ in line 32. 'color_out = vec3(amb + diff + spec + emission_color, material_alpha);'

This stops the sig-11 crash, memory not assigned. Kind of makes sense. The handle arrow is now translucent but at least works so far.

/Library/Frameworks/Houdini.framework/Versions/15.5.687/Resources/houdini/glsl/ui/GL32/handle_shaded.frag

OsX 10.12.2, Nvidia Web Driver 367.15.10.25f.01, H15.5.687.

Mod'd file attached.

Attachments:
handle_shaded.frag (772 バイト)

スタッフ
5154 posts
Unfortunately that'll just cause the shader to fail to compile (or at least, it should - vec3(vec3,float) should error with ‘too many initializers for vec3 constructor’). I suspect that it's just using whatever shader happened to be the previous GL shader. I suppose that workaround is better than crashing, but it's not a proper fix.
4189 posts
Yep - no crashes for half a day is a record since H14! Other mods to the glsl caused Houdini to crash. The handles are looking a bit thin See .gif.

Attachments:
GLFail.gif (1.5 MB)

4189 posts
twod
Unfortunately that'll just cause the shader to fail to compile (or at least, it should - vec3(vec3,float) should error with ‘too many initializers for vec3 constructor’). I suspect that it's just using whatever shader happened to be the previous GL shader. I suppose that workaround is better than crashing, but it's not a proper fix.

Interested to see if the attached is a driver crash or a Houdini crash. So far the app has been super stable and the crash only happened after hours of water simming.

Thx!

Attachments:
crash.Water.artye_713_log.txt (4.1 KB)

2035 posts
Following this thread I was hoping someone could clarify my understanding.

Is it that apple doesn't quit have its ‘system’ in place to utilize opengl effectively?.

What I'm trying to understand is say how, and I am assuming this is true, that apple systems can run the whole range of adobe graphics/video software quite well, but when it comes to Houdini(because of the use of opengl), it starts to have problems.

If this is true. And I'm not suggesting this be a course of action; But say apple didn't improve this opengl and Sidefx really wanted to have Houdini run better on apple systems.

Would they basically have to code Houdini from scratch or rather start from a new code base? What would they be using on the apple system that is the equivalent of opengl?(What I am assuming adobe products ‘tap’ into).
Edited by BabaJ - 2016年12月18日 16:33:18
379 posts
SideFX already did a lot of rewriting to be able to support OpenGl implementation on OSX. Comparing with Adobe products is comparing apples and oranges, Adobe products are not using OpenGl features as much it is used in Houdini, not even close. Apple needs to support OpenGl platfrom better, there is no chance that SideFX or any other company develop build just for Apple platform and maintain it, that is dev nightmare and way too expensive.
2035 posts
Ok..but say if a company is using DirectX for their game/s on windows. What do they typically use when setting up for Apple - OpenGI or something else?
スタッフ
5154 posts
If you want to run a 3D app on OSX, you'll need to use either OpenGL or Metal. It seems like Apple has decided to toss all its eggs inyo the Metal basket and hasn't really touched GL for several years now. Unfortunately Metal has its own shading language in addition to a different API, which makes it a tremendous amount of work to port to (as we have 1000+ shader files). It'd actually be easier to port to Vulkan than Metal, but I don't see any sign of Apple adopting that standard.

The main issues are that 1) Apple isn't adding any new GL features past GL4.1, some of which are very useful (and everyone else has added, even Intel) and 2) the low-level drivers don't seem to be overly robust, especially in some hardware instances. As Srecko pointed out, we've worked around dozens of broken bits on various cards over the years. We do this for all platforms and hardware, but OSX requires more workarounds than all the other platforms and graphics vendors combined.

We'll patch up the handle shader shortly.
379 posts
BabaJ
Ok..but say if a company is using DirectX for their game/s on windows. What do they typically use when setting up for Apple - OpenGI or something else?

Exactly and that is reason why there are not so much games for OSX as for PC. I guess Metal is Apple's DirectX wannabe?
スタッフ
5154 posts
SreckoM
Exactly and that is reason why there are not so much games for OSX as for PC. I guess Metal is Apple's DirectX wannabe?

Yes. Since Metal is supported on iOS too, it's nicely cross-platform. Well, cross-Apple platform anyway
4189 posts
twod
We'll patch up the handle shader shortly.

Excellent! Mac will be back then
2035 posts
Thanks twod for the clarification…thought it was something like that, just didn't know for sure.
4189 posts
Cooly we are now at updated driver 378.05.05.05f01, with Pascal support, but sadly the ‘bone’ still crashes. H16.0.573. MacOs 10.12.4

NB Also hard to go back to MacOs after running Ubuntu on the same system. i.e. OpenCL is still very bad on Grains and RFE (ID# 76997)'tiny popup windows' is a real killer for working on 4k screens.
  • Quick Links