macOS High Sierra

12193   47   4
181 posts
aRtye
High Sierra is getting there but in reality we need better native Houdini Mac support.

McNeel Rhino is an example of a complex, entrenched Windows application that I never expected to ever be available on the Mac [offbroadway.blogspot.com]. And even if it were, it would likely just be a utilitarian port hidden in Wine wrapper [moi3d.com].

But there was enough user interest to make it happen, and someone (presumably developer Marlin Prowell) adopted all the Apple interface conventions and system frameworks to produce a high quality, fully native Mac application citizen [developer.apple.com].

Not that I'm complaining about Houdini. Any developer must concentrate their efforts where it'll have the most benefit, and there's only so much that can be done within Apple's idiosyncratic constraints.
695 posts
peteski
Oh no! I hate working with a mouse
What issues are you hitting?
Right-click on viewport for zooming is virtually useless. Instead it always brings up the context menu. On the network editor it sometimes works, but then it also brings up the tab menu from time to time.
It's basically impossible to do any serious work with a wacom right now.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
517 posts
Hey rafaels, that works fine for me. Maybe you have a funny setting somewhere? I don't know what it might be but something sounds fishy

I guess you have something like this?
4189 posts
rafaels

Log a bug with Wacom - I have and they do resolve things.
695 posts
peteski
Hey rafaels, that works fine for me. Maybe you have a funny setting somewhere? I don't know what it might be but something sounds fishy

I guess you have something like this?
yeah, that's exactly what I have setup, and the funny thing is that when I just launch houdini it works fine with an empty scene, but as soon as I put down a node (geo container or something) it will stop working properly…
Toronto - ON
695 posts
aRtye
rafaels

Log a bug with Wacom - I have and they do resolve things.
will try, but I'm starting to think it's a houdini bug
Toronto - ON
517 posts
Hmm I wonder if there’s a way to get Houdini to log the input it’s recieving from the Wacom. That could help narrow it down but I’m not sure how you’d go about that sadly.
Maybe send something to Houdini support?
193 posts
a little off topic, but has anyone used high sierra with music software like Ableton/Logic? My buddy is a musician, and I was trying to get him to try out that Blackmagic Davinci Resolve for his video editing. only thing is it said that you have to be running version 10.11.6 os (i believe). Now, i remember hearing some very bad things about that version, especially in regards to music production. I was wondering if anyone could comment on if this version is any better about that… seems like Apple has been really dropping the ball lately…

High Sierra is a sweet music festival tho!
695 posts
peteski
Hmm I wonder if there’s a way to get Houdini to log the input it’s recieving from the Wacom. That could help narrow it down but I’m not sure how you’d go about that sadly.
Maybe send something to Houdini support?
Yeah, I've flagged SideFX, but I've also went through a 2-day process to downgrade my OS and now I can get back to work… so frustrating, but a good lesson.
Cheers
Toronto - ON
4189 posts
You can make Wacom work in High Sierra by switching the rocker buttons so the Right Click in on the lower rocker and Middle Click on the upper rocker.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 12.46.52 PM.png (38.7 KB)

695 posts
aRtye
You can make Wacom work in High Sierra by switching the rocker buttons so the Right Click in on the lower rocker and Middle Click on the upper rocker.
Thanks for the tip, I even tried, but it goes against years of muscle memory…
And anyhow, I've got it working with Sierra now and besides it looks like the only “improvements” in high sierra are better editors for photos taken with the apple devices… LAME!! Metal2 and the new file system are not enough to justify the headache.
Toronto - ON
517 posts
Yeah I don't think I could switch the button mapping like that, my brain would not cope
Hey I just updated to the latest wacom drivers in sierra and started getting annoying issues in Houdini, particularly the one where it gets stuck in pan or zoom mode and you have to restart Houdini to fix it. Rolling back to 6.3.20-8 (from Jan this year) seems to have fixed that problem.
It's not great because eventually I will have to update the drivers but in the meantime it seems to work a bit better

I grabbed it here in case anyone wants to try it.
older wacom drivers… [support.wacom.asia]
Edited by peteski - 2017年10月25日 00:52:04
4 posts
Just to chime in here – I've been having all the same problems described in this thread (parameter ladder not staying open and/or flickering constantly, and losing the ability to zoom in the viewport with right-click, etc.) but I think I've settled on a combination of drivers and versions that works.

As peteski mentioned, the old 6.3.20-8 Wacom drivers seemed to work but the catch is you need to fully uninstall your previous drivers via the ‘Wacom Tablet Utility’ in /Applications/Wacom Tablet/, otherwise you'll get some weird errors upon restart. I also downloaded the latest non-production Houdini build (16.0.771) in case it magically fixed the issues.

Here are my machine specs:

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
macOS Sierra 10.12.6 (16G29)

Just another data point for anyone else experiencing these problems! And thanks for the help, guys.
181 posts
If you revert back to an older Wacom driver, you may encounter an error upon attempting to restore your previous Wacom software settings. (Tablet mapping, button customizations, application settings and such.)

But you can edit an xml file called version.plistinside a wacomprefs backup bundle, and simply change its reported version number. Reducing VersionKeyMajorfrom 6to 5,for example, tricks the Wacom Tablet Utility into restoring your tablet settings back the way you like them.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>VersionKeyBuild</key>
	<integer>3</integer>
	<key>VersionKeyMajor</key>
	<integer>6</integer>
	<key>VersionKeyMinor</key>
	<integer>3</integer>
	<key>VersionKeyRelease</key>
	<integer>5</integer>
	<key>VersionKeyVariation</key>
	<integer>15</integer>
</dict>
</plist>
4189 posts
Looks like 16.0.758 fixes the RMB on the top rocker issue but now the MMB ladder is not always reliable…. nah actually fails all the time. for some reason it was working for a bit!
Edited by anon_user_37409885 - 2017年10月27日 22:36:48
4 posts
I recently upgraded to 16.5 and am encountering right-click/sticky zoom issues again even though I was able to find the correct permutation of drivers last time. Is anyone else encountering these issues again in 16.5?
4189 posts
ilikehockey
I recently upgraded to 16.5 and am encountering right-click/sticky zoom issues again even though I was able to find the correct permutation of drivers last time. Is anyone else encountering these issues again in 16.5?

Yes, both mouse and tablet are very sticky. Unfortunately makes Houdini essentially impossible to use on Mac OS
1755 posts
I have no idea why so many people prefer using a pen@tablet in a traditional 3d program. I say this as a guy that uses a pen@tablet daily. In 3d sculpting and 2d drawing. For everything else, I use a normal 3 button mouse which sits next to my tablet.

As far as my experience as well as my common sense goes, there's no advantage to using a pen@tablet over a mouse in Houdini or any other DCC. I can think of at least one functional disadvantage and by the looks of it, some technical ones too, which of course shouldn't exist.

The functional disadvantage I'm referring to is exactly what constitutes an advantage in sculpting and drawing: very sensitive to (hand) movement. If you don't often overshoot or undershoot various sliders, knobs or transformations, you have to share that secret with me. If you do, you need to ask yourself why are you bent on using a pen&tablet in Houdini.

Not trying to convert anyone by any means necessary (by reason only, if applicable), I'm just curios what's with the pen@tablet obsession. I'm sorry if “obsession” seems derogatory, but it seems the most appropriate description to me, knowing what I know about the two peripherals. I am, of course, looking forward to having my mind changed by well thought out arguments.
4189 posts
@McNistor - yeah if you want precision than the mouse is better, no question.
1755 posts
But, if you're a pen&tablet lover, I have this to share with you (most of you probably already have it, but just in case)
It's a script useful for switching between displays in dual monitor setups.
Beware that the script calls the wacom properties window and activates a tab before setting an option.
The shared script is customized to suit my preferred hotkey for switching (win key + Tab) and my dual display setup (2xUHD).
You'll have to edit the ‘ControlClick’ on x and y (printscreen, measure the distance in Photoshop or alike) to match your display resolution and of course install Autohotkey.

Attachments:
wacom_dt.ahk (1.6 KB)

• Quick Links