More elegant way how to place the modules of the autorig on geometry?

1785   8   0
104 posts
Hello,
I have trouble using autorig because all the modules are too big for my character, and I didn't find a way how to scale the modules down. What is the most efficient way of placement the module elements in the geometry? On the Goldfab masterclass we can see that modules fit perfectly in the character, but to me it seems it was predesigned. Or does the autorig have some algorithm which determines the size of the character? If it does, I haven't see that in the user interface. It is all messy to me and I have trouble understanding the best workflow. Thanks for the help.
スタッフ
3455 posts
once you've created an autorig asset - you can scale the Guides using the Scale parameter on the Root Options

Attachments:
scale_guides.png (13.4 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
104 posts
arctor
once you've created an autorig asset - you can scale the Guides using the Scale parameter on the Root Options
I don't have that. Nothing shows up under the Root Options, other than Control Label line.
Edited by Drasko Ivezic - 2017年11月13日 20:10:25

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 2.08.46 AM.png (50.9 KB)

スタッフ
3455 posts
are you using Houdini 16.5?
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
104 posts
arctor
are you using Houdini 16.5?
Yes. Now I upgraded and I can see the scale. But now I discovered different problem.

Json is wrong, what ever I do.

I manage to make everything work, but the file which is loaded has scale on zero, and then I have to manually put it back on the proper scale. Hands got rotated weirdly, and also feet has to be always manually put back into place. So obviously json is not taking into consideration: scale of the root, manual tweaks on foot module and it rotates some modules back on default, like part of the arm module.

Model scales up

Now, this is unpleasant surprise. On generating the rig, it generates, but model scales up. Why is that? It totally destroys the point in scaling the root down. I did add transform node and scale the model down exactly like it was root, so it was able to capture the bones. But this thing should not happen.

In the meantime I decided this workflow is not good, so I used object merge in geo skin container, and it worked great, without need to scale.

And, now rig kind of works, but capture of fingers not really. I don understand why, because I was really careful in placing all this little boxes in right finger, one after another. So at the end, I still don't have usable rig for experimenting.
スタッフ
3455 posts
can you attach your scene file, I'll try to have a look.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
104 posts
arctor
can you attach your scene file, I'll try to have a look.
yes. Can you see my geo on this file? I am attaching obj, just in case.
Also, I must say that I played a little, and I added one switch node below the original created geo node from the rig generation, so on the right side you will see with merge object node the scale problem is not there any more. Then I added polyfill node so I make sure there is not some problem there, and it was, actually. So my fingers now kind of work, it could be better, but I think it has to do with lousy geometry and joint placement. I hope you can figure out. And yes, json file is also there, so you can check if this behavior is the same or what is the problem.

Thnx.

Attachments:
gus6.hiplc (4.9 MB)
gus_rig_share.json (46.6 KB)
gus_Tstand.obj (720.1 KB)

スタッフ
3455 posts
thanks - I'll look into this in the next day or two.
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
スタッフ
3455 posts
Hi Draško,
we've found the issue with the scaling - and it's been fixed for tomorrow's build.
Scaling the guides was inadvertently affecting the scale of the mesh - even though this wasn't visible in the viewport.
So give tomorrow's build a try and let us know how it goes.

thanks!
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links