Translation during copy

1242   3   0
109 posts
Hi, could someone explain me how the N/up combo, or orient attribute works when used in in copy. And how we should use them in order to get expected results

If you look the attached image/scene file, i am trying to copy and align the “arrow” into target point, which have up (yellow) and N (blue..ish) vectors, and i am expecting that the “tip” of the arrow would point the same direction as the N. If i try to use orient, the result is the same.

I am trying to understand this, so that no matter what angle/location the geo is, i can get it to desired position/angle

Drives me crazy - spend almost entire day for this…and i am not any wiser than this morning!

Cheers
-kimmo

Attachments:
copy_and_orient.hipnc (128.5 KB)
screenshot.png (226.4 KB)

8573 posts
the copied geo is aligned along N with it's Z axis and Y axis will point in up direction lying on plane defined by N and up

for orient its more straight forward, copied geo is aligned with it's Z and Y axes to Z and Y axes defined by orient

in your file I've changed computing orient to produce the same results as using N and up, otherwise is only about making sure that the geo is aligned with Z and Y axes in a way you want them to align to the transform defined by N and up attributes (or v, orient, rot, transform, whichever applies)

Attachments:
copy_and_orient_fix.hipnc (140.9 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
109 posts
Haa - thank you Sir!
109 posts
Make instance transform..very nice!…but: if i rotate the source geo, it doesn't rotate “arrow” in the desired direction.

If i understood you correctly Tomas, in order to ensure this, i must ensure that the source geo is created/rotated so that it points to Z? I was kinda hoping solution where i don't have to do that - we are in the procedural world after all

-k
  • Quick Links