Add points to curve

11713   6   1
375 posts
Hi
How can I add a point to an existing curve?

The doc says:
Insert points on an existing curve: Press ⇧ Shift + LMB on the curve.
Insert points on the curve: Press ⇧ Shift + LMB anywhere in the scene view.

What's the difference between these 2 ?
None of these instructions work anyway. When I shift + LMB the curve, nothing happens…
Houdini gamboler
685 posts
hey grendizer,

you have to activate the tool in the viewport. by pressing enter. then you shift-click on the curve = insert point at this location. shift click somewhere else = append point at end of the curve.

It works for me.

Cheers
CYTE
375 posts
Thanks.
But does this work when we want to add a curve that has been edited? I mean when I create a curve it's generally in the front , top or right view. Then I move its point in the other direction. Then if I want to add a point, I need to go back to the “curve1” node then press enter. But the “curve1” node was back when my curve was one dimensional… how can I add point on the curve after the last “edit” node?
Edited by Grendizer - 2018年11月26日 05:41:16
Houdini gamboler
375 posts
Also another question.
The polyextrude node has a rogue behavior with curve guides. In the attached pic, the spine shape is set to “curve from second input”. But as you can see, the extrusion has the right shape but is not sticking to the reference curve. It's kind of leaning in a wrong direction. WHY?

Attachments:
Polyextrude rogue behavior.png (147.6 KB)

Houdini gamboler
685 posts
Hey grendizer,
yea, I share your problems. For one the curve node should allow multi-point editing with all the normal tools like scale, rotate translate. This way you wouldn't need an extra edit node in many cases.

And the polyextrude along spline behaviour is fine if one wants to extrude many polys all in their own “local transposed” curve space. but in most cases like yours. one wants to match the curve in 3d space with the extrusion. there should be a checkbox for it.
atm, I think you have to match by hand the “front transform” in your “extrusion” tab to the last point on the curve… cumbersome

Cheers
CYTE
375 posts
Thanks Cyte.
What you suggest somehow works. But it's indeed long to do, and it's not precise enough.
For both problems there should be some feature requests I beleive.
Houdini gamboler
7836 posts
I think you would be better served in this case by a sweep operation rather than an extrusion, which operates in a local space.

Attachments:
sweep_curve.zip (17.4 KB)
sweep_curve.jpg (105.9 KB)

• Quick Links