Bake Edit node

2203   5   2
1755 posts
Howdy,
Here's a problem I stumbled upon wrestling a bit with curves:
- I draw a curve with a specific shape, but in a sloppy manner, just to have a start to work with.
- I edit the curve (move points) to match the shape I need more accurately.
- I realize that I need to increase the curve's “resolution” just in a few places (add a few points) while keeping the rest of the curve exactly as it is, in both shape as well as point number - so no resample node. Resample wouldn't be helpful since it changes the number of points - adds lots of points in places I don't need and makes editing almost impossible.
- The only option is to go back to the initial curve and insert points there, but that screws the shape after the edit node.

I tried writing/reading the curve on disk and while that gives me a “clean slate” it also removes the option to add/insert new points.
Is there a solution to this?
The title of the thread sums up my proposed solution if there's currently none. Or maybe you can come up with something else if baking nodes is “not Houdini like”, I have no dog in this race as long as the proposed solution works.
517 posts
I've ran into this same problem a lot
I feel if you could multi edit curve points it would mean you could stay just inside the curve sop and avoid a lot of unnecessary work.
Anyway I have a workaround I've been trying -

Put edit sop down and a convert after it to convert back to a nurbs curve. Make sure the edit sop is selected and you can add points with the split tool.

It's not great but I think it works better than my past attempts.
P.
1755 posts
Indeed, not a very elegant workflow (Houdini's shortcoming obviously), but hey, it works, so thanks!
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - 2017年4月11日 05:05:54
517 posts
I know it hurts me! glad it's working though.
12 posts
It's also my headache. But I have a STUPID method:
Draw another curve of same shape, and then delete original edited curve

I really hope they can create a tool to compile edit node to original geometry, or even just create a new curve of that shape
7808 posts
Houdini_Zero
It's also my headache. But I have a STUPID method:
Draw another curve of same shape, and then delete original edited curve

I really hope they can create a tool to compile edit node to original geometry, or even just create a new curve of that shape

LOL, or make a python script to do that in a shelf tool.

For the original problem, there is an object level path drawing tool set that allows adding and removing control points possible. The points are transformable like null objects.

Attachments:
path_insert.jpg (141.6 KB)

• Quick Links