Edit capture regions not working properly?

2333   3   2
24 posts
Hi,

I'm learning a bit of rigging using Houdini Apprentice 16.0.671.

While trying to use the “Edit capture regions” tool, whenever I click on the envelope to change it, the geometry follows the envelope as if the “edit capture” mode is not working, and is behaving like “deform geometry” mode instead (the envelope scales, but the geometry scales with it, instead of the points simply reacting to being included/excluded by the envelope).

I've searched for similar issues out there without success, and watched every video on the subject I could find, but can't see anything I'm doing differently.

I'm on MacOS. Any help appreciated.
Edited by Ethernaut - 2017年8月25日 12:50:03

Attachments:
regionsIssue.m4v (10.1 MB)

スタッフ
130 posts
It looks like you may not have captured your geometry with “Regions” as the capture method. The default is to use the newer Biharmonic Capturing. Editing Regions doesn't really affect geometry captured that way.
john mariella
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
24 posts
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks! It's still hard to find tutorials for Houdini 16, most of the good tutorials out there are kinda old.
21 posts
And how should we refine biharmonic capturing results? It seems like any of the available tools is meant for the new method (Edit Capture Regions, Edit Capture Weights, Edit Capture Blends…)

Here's my problem, the autorig setup (which at the moment I don't know how can be modified or enhanced by making other face cage available) seems to be the perfect solution for a quick advanced facial rigging, it handles jaw lips, and eyelids pretty nice, but I can't make it work easily in our friend Pig Head since his face it isn't very human like and it becomes hard to fit the cage in there.

Then moving to the basic setup, I can't find an easy way of refining the biharmonic capture in order to for example make the proper eyelids selections.

Maybe I should define proper points groups in the first input geo, in fact it would be very nice if I could define point groups that matches the cage regions letting the autorig to fit the cage in the not so human-like face, wouldn't be?

Any advice on this common thing using the new tools available?

Regards,
ÒScar
Edited by ocalaf - 2019年4月10日 15:19:53
  • Quick Links