Need help for pop forces in bullet solver weird behavior

2889   6   1
45 posts
Hello,

I am currently having some issues working with bullet solver.

I fractured a sphere with the rbdmaterailfracture operator and then added rbdbulletsolver to simulate my sphere breaking on the ground.

Then I double clicked on rbdbulletsolver to add some pop forces to play with the sphere:

• I added one POP axis force to make the sphere spin
  • I added one POP attract to pull the sphere toward the origin, but this one is activated later.

I then linked the activation field of the POP attract to a chop operator outside the object so that the POP attract is active when the beat of a music starts, not before.

The issue as it can be seen in the video is that when the POP attract is activated for some reason the sphere freeze. I noted plenty of weird behavior like this that only occurs when putting different value in the strength which makes me think that I may be doing it wrong.

Any help is appreciated.

More info:
- I activate the POP forces with a relative reference using chop(“/obj/chopnet1/limit1/chan1m”) where the channel chan1m is inside a chop network at the specified location.
- if I rise the speed of the POP axis force from 1 to 2, suddenly everything works fine as shown is the video.

555 posts
I reckon uploading your file might not help solving the problem quicker…..but more doof doof might.
45 posts
You are right, here is the .hipnc and the .mp3 that need to be put into the chopnet.
Also in the bullet solver I have included comments on how to reproduce the behaviour.

Thanks.
Edited by Edmond BG - 2020年1月13日 15:26:53

Attachments:
chopdemo.hipnc (930.6 KB)
Alone.mp3 (4.0 MB)

555 posts
not an expert…but here's what I found, in the popaxisforce, behavior:

- having BOTH ignore Mass and Treat as Wind on will freeze.
- having at least ONE of them off (can have both off too) will work.

don't ask why…I have no answer.

EDIT: or leave them both ON, turn Air resistance down to 0…works.

- or nudge the value to other than 1…some value might work….a bit flaky…
Edited by vusta - 2020年1月13日 16:23:42
45 posts
Thanks for helping.

I too experimented a bit and I reworked the chop network because it might have been linked to the way the node is activated but even here the simulation work or don't work if you simply activate or bypass a delay node.

For the moment I am concluding that it is probably a bug and report back if I find anything new.

Thanks again.
8599 posts
your sim is probably hitting sleeping threshold, you can verify that by tutning on sleeping visualizer

if that's the case you can tweak Linear/Angular Threshold for sleeping (Solver/Bullet Object/Bullet Data)
or increase sleeping time (Advanced/Bullet Solver)

or if you don't mind unlocking Bullet Solver SOP you an turn off sleeping on the packed object altogether (however just setting very long sleeping time may be more convenient)
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
45 posts
tamte
your sim is probably hitting sleeping threshold, you can verify that by tutning on sleeping visualizer

That's it ! Thanks a lot, I thought the sim was freezing but it was just falling a sleep !

Thanks tamte and vusta !
  • Quick Links