Quicktime on Linux?

6438   9   2
345 posts
Has anybody had luck playing quicktime files on Linux? Does anyone know what codecs Gnomon and CmiVFX. use in their tutorials?
Thanks
kuba
710 posts
Yes, mplayer and vlc can play quicktime, and mplayer also has a plugin for firefox which lets you watch embedded quicktime movies (for example; the trailers on apple's website).

No clue about the Gnomon vids but I checked my CmiVFX City DVD and it plays fine in mplayer (vlc seems to have problems with it, seeking doesn't work and I got no audio).

Hope that helps.
509 posts
I'm on Linux only.. and I can play both CMI and Gnomon DVD with VLC on fedora

cheers
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
345 posts
Thanks a lot, right now I had no luck - but tried only kaffein
7025 posts
Hey,
How did you get the Gnomon DVD to play on Linux? It appears to have hidden folders or something where the actual movies are ( I'm not looking to crack it just play it )

Cheers,

Peter B
53 posts
if youre using windows, which you're obviously not , go to your folder options and check the little box that says view hidden folders…. I wouldn't know the workaround for linux
スタッフ
2540 posts
Mount your cdrom as a mac hard drive. I forget the exact mount command but I have been able to play the hidden quicktime movies on Gnomon DVD's that way.
Once they are unhidden, you can play them one at a time. The pdf files should also be exposed if there are any present.

Another option to display hidden files is to use this command:
mount -t iso9660 -r -o unhide /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
Haven't tried this on gnomon dvd's though. Good for some windows CD's that have hidden files though.
I use something like this in my fstab:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto unhide,defaults,ro,noauto,user,exec 0 0

Note the unhide flag.
There's at least one school like the old school!
7025 posts
Hey Jeff,
Cool, thanks for the info! Sadly, I don't have root access to do special mounts or mod the fstab. However, I do at home so I'll try it there )

Cheers,

Peter B
509 posts
I use VLC (VideoLan) to play every DVD on my Linux laptop…. File open disc… then /dev/sdc0 … and there it goes… no problems so far.

I dont have the houdini gnomon DVD here now (I'm at the moutain home) but i remind something like a /bin directory in the DVD which contains the .mov files…

cheers
JcN
VisualCortexLab Ltd :: www.visualcortexlab.com
7025 posts
Cool, thanks, I found it. Dunno if I just didn't see it or my work machine mounts things funny. Either way, I'm set!

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links