weird dark lines where ocean intersects with geometry

2032   6   1
12 posts
Hi there,

I've been playing around with the ocean tools and ran into a weird issue when I render the scene.
When the ocean intersects with geometry (in my case, when it hits the beach), you can see a dark line
where the geometries intersect.
Depending on the angle of the intersection, the lines get more or less visible.

Has anyone ran into a similar problem? It might be something really obvious, but I can't find a solution
to this.

I've attached a test scene and an image. Maybe someone has an idea.

Thank you!

Attachments:
test.jpg (519.0 KB)
beach_test.hip (2.6 MB)

12 posts
Also, a little side question, what do I do with the exported ocean displacement map? The oceansurface shader doesn't seem to use it at all anymore. unless it's hidden somewhere..
1621 posts
For the dark line, you may try to decrease the raytracing bias slightly, and see if it improves (it's on the ROP, “Shading” tab, parameter name “vm_raybias”)…
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
12 posts
thanks Martin, this definitely helped when I set it to 0.00001 from 0.001. didn't remove it completey, but it's a lot less visible. It did however create weird striation artefacts in the direct shadow pass, that are not visible in the beauty, but become visible when I decrease it further. But I don't think I need to decrease it further. If it's still visible I can probably also mask the intersection area somehow and lower the opacity.

anyway, thank you so much for your help!
12 posts
I don’t suppose any has an answer to my displacement texture question as well?

Last time I used the ocean tools for a job (probably 5ish years ago), I remember having to select the exported texture in the oceansurface shader. And now there is no parameter for it. Makes me wonder if I still need to export the texture at all.
7770 posts
Hendolph
I don’t suppose any has an answer to my displacement texture question as well?

Last time I used the ocean tools for a job (probably 5ish years ago), I remember having to select the exported texture in the oceansurface shader. And now there is no parameter for it. Makes me wonder if I still need to export the texture at all.

Exported textures are optional for mantra, but they're mostly for use with other renderers that don't have mantra's ocean procedural.
12 posts
thanks for the answer jsmack.

I also just realized that ocean spectrums are heightfields now (introduced in H16). that pretty much explains it as well.
  • Quick Links