best shaders for smoke and fire

1566   3   1
669 posts
Hi

Apologies for what is quite a simple question. I have not come from Mantra so I am slightly on the back foot working out shaders for Karma. as I am working in Solaris right now.

So I have two VDB sims. One pure smoke and one fire. I am guessing I should assign the volumeShaderCore to the smoke and the pryoDensityVolume for the fire. Does this sound right?

Best

Mark
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2020年11月8日 09:10:44
7850 posts
I use the pyro shader, or build a custom volume shader from scratch regardless of smoke or smoke and fire. Smoke and fire are not typically separate though–one shader handles both when they come out of the same sim.
182 posts
Your best bet is to just use one of the shelf buttons to create a basic pyro setup. Then steal the shaders from that. Assuming that's how it still operates, I haven't used Pyro since H16.
7850 posts
Hamilton Meathouse
Your best bet is to just use one of the shelf buttons to create a basic pyro setup. Then steal the shaders from that. Assuming that's how it still operates, I haven't used Pyro since H16.

Pyro's been redone twice since then. 18.5 has a completely new shader and sim setup that requires a baking step to use the new shader. It's modeled after a popular workflow, but isn't what I would consider a baseline shader since it requires specific fields and baking to work correctly.
  • Quick Links