Solaris: how to turn the primary rays off on a vdb sequence

2092   6   1
669 posts
Hi

Using the “render geometry settings” in Karma to turn objects into phantom mesh objects works fine. Does anyone know how to do it for vdb sequences rather than usd geometry as it has no effect?

Also on a somewhat related note. Is there a way to stop objects “self shadowing” The lightlinker can be used with the alt key to shadow link, but not adjust self shadowing.

Edit: after Houdini blue screened my computer and I loaded Houdini again, render geo settings now works. Who knew a crash would solve it ;-) My question still stands on selectively turning off self shadowing on objects though.

Best Mark
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2020年11月10日 11:34:57
7850 posts
Mark Wallman
Also on a somewhat related note. Is there a way to stop objects “self shadowing” The lightlinker can be used with the alt key to shadow link, but not adjust self shadowing.

I think you have to remove the object from the light's shadow mask so it does not cast shadows or make the light cast no shadows.
669 posts
Hi. That does not work unfortunately. Doing that stops other objects with those lights casting shadows onto the building. Best
7850 posts
Mark Wallman
Hi. That does not work unfortunately. Doing that stops other objects with those lights casting shadows onto the building. Best

There's no such thing as self shadowing. An object either shadows a light or it doesn't.
669 posts
Hi.i can do it in Maya so i guess you are talking about just houdini. Thanks gor the heads up. Best
Edited by Mark Wallman - 2020年11月10日 15:26:13
7850 posts
Mark Wallman
Hi.i can do it in Maya so i guess you are talking about just houdini. Thanks gor the heads up. Best

It might be a renderer specific feature to Arnold. In that case it would be in arnolds render settings.
669 posts
Hi. Sorry you misunderstand me. It has been a core feature in maya way before arnold. What i am trying to do in karma is make a way to make a shadow catcher as it does not have one in built yet. Best
  • Quick Links