Nested dialectics with Karma

1983   4   1
18 posts
I am trying to figure out why the top of the liquid is darker than the bottom. I tried every setting I could think of and I'm unable to have a consistent color between the outside of the liquid and its inside. I played with the at distance but it does not help, when I increase the distance, the bottom of the liquid becomes darker and the top of the liquid becomes lighter.

IOR of glass is 1.5
IOR of water is 1.33

I also made sure the water is slightly overlapping with glass.

Any help would be much apprecicated!

I'm running Houdini 19.5.533

Thanks
Edited by jd_m_007 - 2022年2月18日 12:41:41

Attachments:
Screenshot 2022-02-18 113607.png (366.8 KB)

1630 posts
Nested dielectrics are currently unsupported in both regular Karma and KarmaXPU.

For reference, check this comparison table (need to scroll down a bit): https://www.sidefx.com/faq/karma/ [www.sidefx.com]

But I'm not even sure this is the problem in your case, it may be simply too low of a refraction depth (this defaults to 4 now, it was 10 on mantra ROPs).
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
18 posts
I have set the refraction and reflection limit to 16 but it does not help, I get the same result.

protozoan
Nested dielectrics are currently unsupported in both regular Karma and KarmaXPU.

For reference, check this comparison table (need to scroll down a bit): https://www.sidefx.com/faq/karma/ [www.sidefx.com]

But I'm not even sure this is the problem in your case, it may be simply too low of a refraction depth (this defaults to 4 now, it was 10 on mantra ROPs).
8594 posts
the absorption doesnt seem to be properly integrated along the light path
which would make sense as that's also listed as unsupported
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
18 posts
It has been a few months and I was hoping to hear from the dev if there is a slight change for absorption and nested dielectrics to be supported in the next release? I render quite a bit of liquids in glass and would really appreciate for this feature to be implemented.
  • Quick Links