USD preview material bug - Quixel Asset

1681   5   2
385 posts
I was importing a Quixel usd asset as a reference and noticed the textures were showing up weird.
The available material is a usd preview surface

If i edit the material first i lose the textures
if i remove the uv primvar reader textures appear again but they are still weird
if i add a new usd preview surface and plug my texture its shows up correctly on the viewport.

Is this Quixel or Solaris bug? or am i doing something wrong?

Here are some screenshots of the steps

Attachments:
1.JPG (367.8 KB)
2.JPG (344.8 KB)
3.JPG (371.3 KB)
4.JPG (364.7 KB)
5.JPG (414.0 KB)

385 posts
just noticed when i edit the material and dive inside i need to override the uv string name on the subnet. The input string parameter.
That fixes the brown material issue but the weird seams are still there. The whole problem comes down to the usd preview surface node. The settings are exactly the same between the Quixel one and the one i created. Could it be corrupted?
スタッフ
4164 posts
I'm not sure which one you're referring to, that could be corrupted. If you select the mesh prims in the Scene Graph Tree, and look at the Scene Graph Details, you can see what the name of your surface parameterization is (i.e. stor uv- some USDZ files have decided to use st0by default...). As long as that name is in the USD Primvar Reader, it should work; you may also want to double-check that the type matches your primvar (i.e. is it a vector2 or vector3).

I wouldn't think any seam issues are in the shader; but you might need to log a bug through support, where you can securely/confidentially share the files with us if necessary to resolve the bug.
I'm o.d.d.
385 posts
Before i file it as bug and potentially waste everybody's time, here is the scene file in case you can spot something obvious.

The asset was exported from Bridge to disk as a usd. All i did was reference it in Solaris.
The primvar is indeed named "st" so there shouldn't be a problem there.

Attachments:
usd_prev.zip (1.1 MB)

スタッフ
4164 posts
Thanks. I'm inclined to think there is a bug in the Quixel export... if it works fine with renderers other than Karma/HoudiniGL, then I'd go ahead and log an issue with Support; but I can't tell why it's not working, other than it looks like something about the Normals map is wrong.
I'm o.d.d.
385 posts
for me HoudiniGL seemed to display the texture correctly but Karma rendered out that Normal map artifact.
As soon as i dropped down a new UsdPreviewSurface the problem was fixed.
ok i will go ahead and log it

Thank you!
  • Quick Links