kineFX rotate result not what I expect

1154   5   2
355 posts
I have a very very simple kineFX setup here where I'm doing a straightforward 90-degree rotation on a box. I move the pivot of the joint to where I want and rotate the box, the problem is the box seems misaligned on some axes. I'm rotating on the X-axis, but the box is now slightly misaligned on its rotate Z-axis! I've never had this issue before. I've checked the joint pivot I can't see any problems with it. I'd really like some second and third eyes on this to tell help me figure out where the issue is here. Thanks much.

Attachments:
rotate_values_seem_off.hiplc (225.8 KB)

hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
1738 posts
I don't see any misalignment. If you unpack and look in the spreadsheet, the points are all on clean expected values before and after the rotation.
http://www.tokeru.com/cgwiki [www.tokeru.com]
https://www.patreon.com/mattestela [www.patreon.com]
8556 posts
interesting

I can also clearly see misalignment, even straight after the Rigpose SOP the 3@transform matrix is already messy, compared to the same with Transform SOP
the pivot value is somehow getting into rotation, the more the pivot offset the more it contaminates the other rotation axes
H19.5.640
Edited by tamte - 2023年8月3日 21:57:22

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-08-03 215613.png (6.7 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
355 posts
tamte
interesting

I can also clearly see misalignment, even straight after the Rigpose SOP the 3@transform matrix is already messy, compared to the same with Transform SOP
the pivot value is somehow getting into rotation, the more the pivot offset the more it contaminates the other rotation axes
H19.5.640
Image Not Found

Yeh the transform is messed up after the rigpose, is this some sort of precision error bug or something?
8556 posts
Since the pivot value seems to end up in or at least directly influence rotation value it looks like a more serious bug than just precision error
I'd definitely suggest submitting a bug regardless
Edited by tamte - 2023年8月3日 23:18:48
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
355 posts
tamte
Since the pivot value seems to end up in or at least directly influence rotation value it looks like a more serious bug than just precision error
I'd definitely suggest submitting a bug regardless

SideFX has confirmed this to be a bug and are working on fixing it!
Thanks for the assistance🙏🏿
  • Quick Links