No module named sidefx_stroke or kinefx.stateutils

4310   9   4
61 posts
On a fresh Houdini 19 install we were getting

ImportError: No module named sidefx_stroke
and
ImportError: No module named kinefx.stateutils

To fix this we had to add the following to our houdini.env
PYTHONPATH = $PYTHONPATH;$HFS/packages/kinefx/python2.7libs;$HFS/houdini/viewer_states;$HFS/packages/kinefx/viewer_states

Curious if this is expected behavior? Leaving it here in hopes that it helps anyone else experiencing the same issue.
Edited by blented - 2021年11月20日 10:06:15
Grant Miller
VFX Supervisor
Ingenuity Studios
スタッフ
399 posts
I just tried with H19.0.445, both modules should load as expected. You shouldn't have to add anything to PYTHONPATH.
Edited by mabelzile - 2021年11月22日 10:00:37
61 posts
Thanks for checking, we'll look through our env more and try to figure out what's causing the hang-up.
Grant Miller
VFX Supervisor
Ingenuity Studios
2 posts
Thanks for the fix Grant, this sorted out the same issue here (for 18.5, but we see it in 19 too).

I think for our case the bug may have been associated with this (once?) bug fix (in sidefx change log, for Houdini 18.0.363):

Fixed a bug where OTLs would fail to load on startup with errors like:
"ImportError: No module named sidefx_stroke"

When %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% was set to the root of a drive, like Z:\

Maybe it has surfaced again?
61 posts
Worth noting, on a fresh install w/ no tools we're still seeing this on 19.5

The above fix works, modified for python 3.9 as such:
PYTHONPATH = $PYTHONPATH;$HFS/packages/kinefx/python3.9libs;$HFS/houdini/viewer_states;$HFS/packages/kinefx/viewer_states

But we're getting a new error which we're still trying to track down:

Error running event handler:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "labs::Lop/karma::2.0, ViewerStateModule", line 18, in <module>
  File "C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 19.5.303.9\python39\lib\site-packages-forced\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport\__feature__.py", line 142, in _import
    return original_import(name, *args, **kwargs)
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'ParseExrMetadata'

Error running event handler:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "labs::Lop/karma::2.0, opdef:/labs::Lop/karma::2.0?ViewerStateInstall", line 1, in <module>
  File "C:\PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.9/houdini/python3.9libs\viewerstate\utils.py", line 948, in register_pystate_embedded
    raise ViewerStateException("createViewerStateTemplate not found in {}".format(node_type.sourcePath()))
viewerstate.utils.ViewerStateException: createViewerStateTemplate not found in oplib:/labs::Lop/karma::2.0?labs::Lop/karma::2.0
Grant Miller
VFX Supervisor
Ingenuity Studios
146 posts
Hello Grant,
I had no problem with 19.0, but now I had both the problems with 19.5

- First (the "sidefx_stroke" and "kinefx.stateutils") is fixed by adding paths as you suggested. Thank you very much for it!
- The second ('ParseExrMetadata' and 'register_pystate_embedded') persists, same as you said

But both problems can be "fixed" if I don't have the .hiplc file in a specific path (a root of Q:/ drive in my case). If I run the same .hiplc from a subfolder, I get no errors.

I am not sure if I can help to debug it further, but I can send my files and settings to SideFX, if it helps.
16 posts
Hello, I am facing the same issue with Houdini 19.0.589 when I launch Houdini from a console if I cd in another drive than C:/.
Houdini is installed on a network and managed with Rez, and when I need to launch Houdini, I open a cmd prompt, cd in the Rez directory (R:/), acquire the rez environment, and then type "houdini", it launches, and then raises the errors you mention. If I do the same thing but before typing Houdini and launching it, I cd in the C:/ directory, everything works fine. There are no environment variables that could conflict, other than SESI_LMHOST but I don't see why this one could cause an issue like this.

# Does not work
C:\Users\donromano > cd /D R:/
R:\ > rez-env houdini-19.0.589
R:\ > houdini

# Works
R:\ > rez-env houdini-19.0.589
R:\ > cd C:/Users/donromano
C:\Users\donromano > houdini

I also tried with a local installation of Houdini 19.0.589 and same behavior :

# Does not work
R:\ > "C:\Program Files\SideFX\Houdini 19.0.589\bin\houdini"

# Works
C:\Users\donromano > "C:\Program Files\SideFX\Houdini 19.0.589\bin\houdini"
30 posts
Hi all,

It seems houdini doesn't like the startup directory being the root of a drive (under windows).

If i add a fresh usb drive (just to make a new drive letter) and startup from e:\, i get all the state load errors. if i make a subfolder and start from that director (e:\temp for example), i get no load errors.

time for a bug report.

cheers,
chrisg
3 posts
For anyone who has encountered this issue, if you are starting Houdini from a shortcut which locates in the C drive, try create a shortcut by yourself for the executable in /bin folder under Houdini's install location and use this shortcut. This fixed my issue, and this issue only exists on my Windows 11 machine.
61 posts
Amazing tip, this has been such an annoyance, thank youuu!

The Right click > Properties > Start In path is %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH% by default on our Windows install, it should be:

"C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 20.0.506\bin"

Attachments:
shortcutSettings.png (13.5 KB)

Grant Miller
VFX Supervisor
Ingenuity Studios
  • Quick Links