Cloth shader giving errors on subdivided planar patch.

738   4   0
193 posts
Hello,
I have cloth shader that seems to work fine everywhere, but when I put it on a planar patch it takes over the pattern that edges have.

I would think it is because of the geo normals, but they have a cusp angle of 180.

I can make the problem less apparent by reducing the normals of the threads, but that makes everything look 2 flat.

Any advice on troubleshooting this would be welcome.

EDIT: the shader has also completly stopped working on houdini 20.
Edited by NicTanghe - 2023年11月11日 15:20:45

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2023-11-06 13-26-30.png (1.2 MB)
rendergallery.db.1cc75a0d-5a5f-4b63-a29b-62ea0d4c23e7.jpg (596.0 KB)

193 posts
bump
7794 posts
the topology looks like subdivided triangles, creating quads. this causes the uv's to not interpolate correctly anymore. if you hide your grid lines, you can probably see that it's already all wobbly.
193 posts
Oh ok I did not know that about the UV interpolation.
I don't know what you mean with already all wobbly though normals all point the same direction.

Anny idea how to properly retopologise a topology like this ?

Applying a topo transfer on every frame individually seems like it's a bit of a waste.
7794 posts
NicTanghe
I don't know what you mean with already all wobbly though normals all point the same direction.

Hide the polylines and the checkerboard will have 'zig-zag' distortion if the uv interpolation is the problem. It could be that I'm just seeing an optical illusion, but I think that's what I see.

NicTanghe
Anny idea how to properly retopologise a topology like this ?

A grid that's the same size as the rest frame should work.

NicTanghe
Applying a topo transfer on every frame individually seems like it's a bit of a waste.

I wouldn't transfer topology, but transfer deformation with a cloth deform or point deform.
  • Quick Links