Can use Eigen C++ library in Vex or OpenCL?

473   6   1
3 posts
I am now hoping to use the Eigen C++ library in Houdini. I know that I can compile new custom nodes using the HDK, but it can be a bit cumbersome. Since Houdini internally uses the Eigen library, is there a way to use Eigen in Houdini's vex or OpenCL?
27 posts
use eigen in vex:
HDK: Custom Vex Function [www.sidefx.com]
But it's still inconvenient
4520 posts
Hi,

You can use it inside Houdini using C++ Wrangle:

This guy integrated the Eigen library also:
https://github.com/lecopivo/cpp-wrangle [github.com]

So you can try that version to access the Eigen library directly. This is the closest you can get albeit not inside VEX or OpenCL.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
3 posts
juejuezi
use eigen in vex:
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I actually have a small problem with HDK. Every time I recompile the plug-in, I have to restart Houdini to recognize it. This is a bit annoying. Is there a way to make Houdini detect custom node updates in real time?
3 posts
animatrix_
Hi,

You can use it inside Houdini using C++ Wrangle:

This guy integrated the Eigen library also:
https://github.com/lecopivo/cpp-wrangle [github.com]

So you can try that version to access the Eigen library directly. This is the closest you can get albeit not inside VEX or OpenCL.
Many thanks for your advice, looks like a very good and interesting solution!
4520 posts
ljzmathematics
juejuezi
use eigen in vex:
Thank you very much for your suggestion. I actually have a small problem with HDK. Every time I recompile the plug-in, I have to restart Houdini to recognize it. This is a bit annoying. Is there a way to make Houdini detect custom node updates in real time?

The C++ Wrangle SOP won't have this problem. It will only compile if the code is changed or it's run on a new system where it wasn't compiled before or a new version of Houdini that uses a new compiler. The same binaries will be used indefinitely.

SESI did a great job with C++ integration albeit it's not really popularized.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
27 posts
ljzmathematics
juejuezi
use eigen in vex:
As far as I know, there is no way to automatically update. But you can try the C++ Wrangle SOP
  • Quick Links