Duplicate Nodes within an otl

4411   8   1
2624 posts
Hi All ,
Is it possible within an otl to give the user the ability to duplicate an existing operator contained within the otl. You could say for example let the user define how many geometry operators they would like to create. Then on creation have the node connect to a predefined set of parameters at the top level of the users otl.

rob
Gone fishing
2199 posts
Copy sop?
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
2624 posts
Hi Simon ,
I am talking about the ability to copy a node at the object level , sorry if there is some confusion from my first post.

rob
Edited by - 2009年8月25日 13:59:10
Gone fishing
2199 posts
Sorry, wasn't getting Object level from your first post.
I would say there is no way to do this then as you'd be changing the actual definition of the otl contents which would then propagate to all the other instances.

I suppose you could have a script that creates duplicate objects and added channel references back to a controlling otl object that just had the parameters on it….. but this would have to make the duplicates outside the otl not inside it, unless you unlocked the otl, which rather defeats the purpose.
スタッフ
3455 posts
nope, you can't really do it…

and I'd be careful here…not even knowing what your HDA does it sounds to me like it might be doing too much…it's far too easy to try to build tools that do everything when a few smaller tools might be better…
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
2624 posts
Thanks for the input , Ive built a basic shadow D map chunking tool for large scenes that uses a light template nodes as a base attached to a main key light. Currently I duplicate the lighting node to get 3 different resolution maps then I use the DSM function to merge them all.
The idea was just to give the user an option to create more shadow lights. On your advice I think it might have to be the case of giving the user a set amount of shadow lights to use for rendering !

r
Gone fishing
スタッフ
1072 posts
circusmonkey
Is it possible within an otl to give the user the ability to duplicate an existing operator contained within the otl. You could say for example let the user define how many geometry operators they would like to create. Then on creation have the node connect to a predefined set of parameters at the top level of the users otl.

Yes, this should be possible. See the “Editable Nodes” field in the Type Properties dialog. I believe that if a subnet is editable, one can add or remove child nodes.
2624 posts
Yes I have known you can do that for some time.The problem is the amount of shadow lights is going to be determined by the shot. So having an open asset or an asset per shot is out of the question.

r
Gone fishing
2199 posts
I think what Ondrej is saying isn't to unlock the whole asset just put a subnet inside and make that editable, then you can add as many nodes as you like inside it, presumably using a script. Didn't realise you could do that, I thought editable nodes were just for things like edit or paint sops, that's very cool to know.
  • Quick Links