Cant cookie twice?

4852   8   0
9 posts
Hi I want to have a horizontal circular floor slab with a center hole. Ive tried a few variation but it wouldnt work. I can cookie the 1st circle slab, but i cant cookie the 2nd hole on the circular slab.. help!

Attachments:
cookie prob.jpg (39.7 KB)
cookie prob.hipnc (42.0 KB)

8555 posts
you need to flip normals on your tube1 with reverse SOP to let houdini know that inside of that tube is outside of the object

Attachments:
cookie_prob_fix.hipnc (45.9 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
Thanks reversing works for the example.. But my real problem is this.. i reversed e normals but it does not cookie in a clean manner.

Attachments:
realcookie.hipnc (58.1 KB)

スタッフ
1182 posts
If you are creating a circular floor with a circular hole in it then I wouldn't use a boolean operation. I would create grid in the XY orientation, set the rows and columns to 2 and 2 then size it into a slab profile then offset it from the origin at the geometry level. Then I would then revolve the shape to get the circular slab with the circular hole in it. I have included an example file. Once you have the one floor then you can use a duplicate node to add the other floors…

Booleans seldom result in clean topology. If possible, I try to build a hole like this by hand.

Attachments:
circular_disk.hip (37.4 KB)

Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
9 posts
interesting way of creating e slab.. Perhaps i can try your method. Anyway, my slab is not symmetrical or regular.. The shell surrounding it creates e shape of everyfloor plate.

Attachments:
non symmetrical or regular.jpg (49.5 KB)

スタッフ
1182 posts
Post a picture of the slab and I'll take a crack at it. As I said, I try to build these things up instead of using booleans if at all possible…

Oops - just saw the picture - it doesn't show up when not logged in. I will tinker and post a sample file. Actually can you post the scene file - it would be easier to do a test with your actual scene - Cookie might actually be the right solution given the model you are working with.
Robert Magee
SideFX
スタッフ
1182 posts
Here is an example of the floor slabs cookies using two foreach sops:

Attachments:
circular_disk_cookie.hip (63.8 KB)

Robert Magee
SideFX
8555 posts
yul000
Thanks reversing works for the example.. But my real problem is this.. i reversed e normals but it does not cookie in a clean manner.

that's because your geometry is quite bad for this
your points are not fused, so it's just like many individual polygons touching at the edges
simple fuse SOP will not work because you have double faces in there too
if you display face numbers you can see it
so if you can correct your geometry before export or delete double faces manually (i can't think of procedural way right now) and then fuse them together with Fuse SOP
then it should work as the first example
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
8555 posts
i just corrected your model as an example

Attachments:
realcookie_fix.hipnc (63.4 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links