Microsolvers

6119   3   0
861 posts
Out of curiosity I am playing with microsolvers to see what I can do with them.

I have a pyro object and I want to move particles with it, in the dops context by using microsolvers.

My thinking is to create a vel field on particles and then drive them with a boyancy solver. But it isn't working.

What am I doing wrong?

It seems that I can pick up for example a vel field but it isn't made into a motion.

Attachments:
Clipboard01.jpg (12.1 KB)
hmm.hipnc (803.1 KB)

--
Jobless
8595 posts
for basic understanding of microsolvers look at
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1234&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]
there is also example of advecting geometry in DOPs

or use Embed In Fluid Shelf tool for this effect and look inside how it's done
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
861 posts
Thanks tamte. The secret sauce turns out to be the geometrycopy dop.

I have attached a working file.

The one thing I don't understand about this file is why Gas Boyancy (light green node) only works if the red Gas Advect is attached (boyance set to x=1 to see the effect more easily).

I would have thought vel is fetched from pyro so it is “there”. Perhaps the geometry needs to be told to use it before the solver is aware of the data, and that is what the advection does? Sorry for speaking such fluffy stuff.

Attachments:
Clipboard02.jpg (17.6 KB)
hmm_518.hipnc (802.9 KB)

--
Jobless
8595 posts
gas Advect DOP is actually moving particles according to vector field you specify
in your case vel field fetched from pyro

gas buoyancy DOP is updating vel field according to temperature field and some parameters
it is not doing anything to geometry, it's just altering vel field from pyro which is then used by gas advect to move geometry

so if you just want to move particles according to pyro you can delete fetch temperature and gas buoyancy nodes completely
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links