lightlinker / refl and light masking

3162   1   1
184 posts
hi,

i use PBR rendering with my current testproject. i seems that the light and reflection masking in the rendertab of the geonode does not work with PBR rendering… (it works fine with the other engines)… is there another way to exclude objects from reflection with PBR rendering?

My object has a lot of reflective materials and i wanna achive a glossy and contrasty look of my surface. It should be placed over a very bright ground.
Problem is that the reflection of my ground make my object very diffuse.

Here are some quick renders of my object and an example of how it should look like

“glossy” shows the way it should behave …it s lit with an HDR 8environmentlight and two pointlights…far away from done but a beginning.
glossy and contrasty…

“diffuse” Image shows exactly the same scene with the same lightning over white(problem)

“goal” image shows the look i wanna achive ( iknow its a different material with muh more diffusion but its also rendered with PBR) i ve tried to integrate
the settings to my scene without success…i m sure there are a lot of ways to do shading and lightning in a different way for getting close to such.

thx a lot

Attachments:
metal_eetushader.jpg (183.6 KB)
out_11.jpg (383.0 KB)
out_10.jpg (103.4 KB)

156 posts
First off - have you adjusted the glossy and diffuse limits in your PBR tab of your mantra? We were running our diffuse limit at 3 for default. It just looks better.

Ok next - PBR does not support typical masking ASAIK. There was talk about it being used with the Extra Image Planes but I'm not if that got implemented - you can check the journals. The whole idea behind PBR is it's physically based, and since in real life you can separate shadows from an object … of course, if things could be done IRL then we wouldnt be doing them in CG, now would we?

You could try creating reflection map textures and applying them, and PBR might respect them, else you'll have to use Micropolygon rendering with an AO pass to get the kind of control you are talking about.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
  • Quick Links