animate noise time

15118   4   3
14 posts
hi,

i am a maya user trying to make the switch over to houdini. while using maya i got used to having a time attribute on noise textures to animate variance in noise without seeing a directional motion as when just animating the offset. i tried plugging another noise in the offset of my main turbulent noise but without much success(i get a noisy back and forth motion).
i am using it on a sphere in a vop sop just displacing the geometry.

id really appriciate it, if anyone could explain to me how to animate noise in houdini.

thanks
299 posts
You can use the global variables $T, $F and $FF to drive your offset and animate over time.
Drive, monkey, drive!
14 posts
thanks for the reply. ..well i was actually doing excact what you described, the problem is that i dont want to see a direction in the noise as what happens when animating the offset.
but the flownoise node seems to give the result i need. the only drawback when using flownoise ist that i can not choose between different noise types like spatial, aligator, perlin.
plugging the noise vector from the flownoise in the position vector of the turbulent noise seems to work though. but is that the correct workflow for getting animatable, say, alligator noise?
スタッフ
2540 posts
Most VOPs in the Patterns tab support 4D position inputs.

For example, you can take the standard Anti-Aliased Noise VOP. Then take P and feed it in to a Vector to Vector4 VOP, create a parameter of the alternate float input to the Vector to Vector4 VOP. Wire this real bright green vector4 output in to the Anti-Aliased Noise VOP and voila, now the frequency and offset parameters also get a fourth parameter to play with.

This offers you the ability to animate the noise using the 4th dimension and has no apparent 3d spatial property.

See the attached scene file and don't forget to try all the other patterns to see if they are set up to take 4d positions.

Attachments:
4d_noise_offset.hip (75.8 KB)

There's at least one school like the old school!
14 posts
thank you! .. this is exactly what i was looking for. by using the lenght of the antialiased noise with 4d input as displacement along normal i now get noise that looks almost like the perlin noise on the turbulentNoise node - but in an animateable version. very cool!

the thing where i am still stuck at, is getting the look of the aligator or sparse convolution noise in an animatable version. on the curlnoise node those types don't have any effect when using a 4d input so i tried using the worley and voronoi noise as the help mentions that they are very similar to aligator and sparse convolution noise.
the look i get is very different though and there are not many settings for further adjustment avaliable. any ideas?

i have attached an example file with animated perlin style noise and the look i am after when using turbulentnoise set to aligator type.

Attachments:
noise_types.hipnc (143.0 KB)

• Quick Links