Mantra crash "Memory Allocation Error" -- pls help

4567   6   2
4 posts
Hi all
I am using Houdini 11 to render a relatively simple scene of a ball on a checkerboard in stereo camera view. there are 240 frames in the scene, when I render Mantra keeps crashing saying ‘memory allocation error’. i dont know what is going on.

my computer specs are Windows XP 2002 SP3 3.49Gm ram, intel core i7
cpu 860 @ 2.80GHz

please help in letting me know what is happening.

Thanks

ps my crash log says:

Crash report from slaldin; Mplay Version 11.0.775
Traceback from Mon Jul 04 17:53:58 2011
Caught signal 11
+0x05160998
+0x05160d2b
1390 posts
It looks like a 32bit computer, isn't it? Are you rendering directly into Mplay? It seems to me like Mplay exceeding 1.5 GB limit for 32bit application thus crashes with memory error. Try render images to disk instead.
4 posts
thank you for the quick reply. yes it is 32-bit computer. how do I establish the settings so the images are rendered into disk. sorry i am quite new to Houdini and animation software in general.

thanks
330 posts
Hi, it sounds like you are clicking the render icon bottom-left of the main window. Instead go to the Output view, lay down a Mantra ROP (Render Operator) and set it to a file location. then click the render button on the Mantra node. Check the help for precise details. good luck
4 posts
Thank you for helping me. I have solved this issue by changing the output settings of the render node.

Now, i have another memory allocation problem where I am exporting sequences from MPlay into .mov file and it is giving me the same error. i manage to export left stereo files with no problem but it gives me the memory allocation error for the right stereo files.

any thoughts on how i can buy pass the Mplay here when exporting?

thanks
2624 posts
any thoughts on how i can buy pass the Mplay here when exporting?

use Nuke or any other comp package

r
Gone fishing
330 posts
You could composite and export single frames (hint, in the ROP file output put frame_$F.bmp - it will substitute the $F with frame number), then use Virtualdub to render to a movie format.
  • Quick Links