Resize Smoke Box Tutorial with Object

2997   3   1
37 posts
Hello,

I have been following Jeff Wagner's tutorial on resizing a fluid container.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1939&Itemid=216 [sidefx.com]

Once I had the first stage complete, with the fluid container resizing correctly, I saved the project. On reopening the project the next day the simulation no longer worked.

I repeated the steps in a new project, got it working, saved. Reopened and the same thing happened, the simulation does not produce any smoke.

Tried this in both Houdini Production Builds: 11.1.118 and 11.1.201.

Can anyone throw some light on this!

Project file attached.

Many thanks in advance for taking a look.

Attachments:
Resize Fluid Container2_v2.hipnc (564.3 KB)

245 posts
Hi there,

I dont know really why this is happening but I think it has to do with resolution, I usually give my fluid some space before actually resizing.

In the resizefluid node you can add 10 to X, Y, and Z in the padding -> voxels tab.

Works over here.
349 posts
yup voxel padding is a must for resizing. The higher the res of the sim, the more padding you will need.

Also here is a method of using a sop solver inside of dops instead of importing into sops.

Attachments:
resize.hipnc (704.8 KB)

37 posts
Thanks for your replies.
The point of the Jeff's tutorial was to do the resizing in SOPs, rather than DOPs, to make the process “more artist friendly”.
The padding is applied to the bound node in the fluid_resize object.

Loaded the project and hit play this morning and it worked fine.
Load a previous version that I know doesn't work to see if I could fix it.
Then reloaded the previously working version and it doesn't work even after restarting Houdini!

So I think it is a software issue. Will see if I can reproduce it and if so report to SideFX.

In the meantime back to the SOPSolver in DOPS!
  • Quick Links