Got my new compter but....

3551   7   1
172 posts
i have a apprentice HD licence

specs
2*XEON 3.06ghz 12 cores
gtx 580 3gb
48GB ram ECC

And my problem is that when i do fluid sim and rbd fracture sim the CPU and RAM arent used at their fullest,
i thought that ram would help for fluid sims as well as the cpu, but when i open task manager only 4 GB ram are used during sims
I bought all that thinking that it will be usefull
also when i render my computer does a continuous beep and temp for cpus goes up to 90 degrees..is that normal?

Anyone has an answer to my problem

Thanks
299 posts
Simulate more particles or higher resolution volumes and you will use more ram.

All simulations aren't 100% threaded and therefor can not use 100% of all cores of your cpu.

On the becoming 90 degrees and beeping. That is not normal. You should make sure your heatsink is mounted correctly.
Drive, monkey, drive!
172 posts
thank you

also i am going to open it, should the heat sink be stuck to the processor, do u have any advice to see if something is wrong?

and thanks again

i just took off the heatsink…and there is some kind of meltes rubber on top of cpu and on the bottom of the heatsink..normal?
1743 posts
sami.tawil
should the heat sink be stuck to the processor
Yes.

do u have any advice to see if something is wrong?
If there is no fan attached to the heat sink or if the heat sink is not thoroughly pressed to the CPU with thermal paste, that's a problem.

i just took off the heatsink…and there is some kind of meltes rubber on top of cpu and on the bottom of the heatsink..normal?
That's probably thermal paste to help assist with thermal conduction from the CPU to the heat sink. Removing it might or might not have been a good idea, but make sure you stick it back on without removing the thermal paste, and press it on to make sure there's good thermal contact. Presumably there are also latches for the heat sink that you need to re-latch, and if you had to take the fan off the heat sink, it needs to be reattached.

If there wasn't a fan or other cooling system on the heat sink, that could explain the high temperature.

Hopefully everything's okay!
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
2624 posts
Save yourself from damaging some very expensive parts and hire a professional to build your machine.

rob
Gone fishing
299 posts
circusmonkey
Save yourself from damaging some very expensive parts and hire a professional to build your machine.

rob

This sounds like solid advice.
Drive, monkey, drive!
スタッフ
5161 posts
Also check your airflow in the case. Sometimes filters on the front of the case and heatsinks on the CPUs and graphics card can get clogged with dust, and this will gradually cause higher temperatures. Make sure all the fans are actually working and replace any that are inconsistent in RPM or stopped altogether. Make sure cabling or newly added hard drives are not blocking airflow from front->back.

The thermal paste between your heatsink and CPU should be a nice, thin layer. More is not better in this case.
172 posts
thanks for your input guys, i brought it back and they added 2 big fans on the cpus.
Now my temp is below 70 even while rendering for hours.
Now i have to fix my PSU, it beeps then activate the fan full speed for a minute, cools down and do that every 30 min.I feel it happens mostly when i use the gpu (gtx 580 3gb)
I guess i need to get more watts(now 850 w)
  • Quick Links