USABILITY: Paste append operator for the network editor

1494   1   1
4528 posts
Sometimes when working inside the Network Editor, you copy paste an operator and then hook it up into the current operator, as just pasting it, hooks it up to the same operator the copied operator is connected.

It would be pretty useful to also have a Paste Append feature that allows you to paste the selected operator and hook it up to the currently selected operator.

It could be Shift + V for example. Also it would only work if there is a single operator in the copy clipboard, otherwise it would do regular paste.

Does it have some merit or too clumsy?
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
スタッフ
2540 posts
Over the years there has been the odd request for Tab-adding of SOPs to always append to the current SOP/display SOP depending on whether you have display Current SOP on/off.

This would be a variation on that where you can paste to the current/display SOP.

I don't know if there is the general appetite to have this behaviour of auto-appending SOPs to current/display SOPs. (This would be a question to the group btw). If so then I can see arguing that this specific RFE being wrapped up in that work.

I have a few model assets of my own that have the node append to the current display flag SOP. These tools are more designed for full screen viewport linear modelling using page_up/page_down and because of the tab-typing slowdown, I create a dedicated shelf with the tools I need as I find it faster to hit the tool on the shelf then use ‘Q’ to repeat than it is to use tab-typing which can cause your hand to drop the mouse or tuck the wacom pen under my thumb.

You already can put the auto-append to current/display SOP behaviour using Python by modifying the tool script directly.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links