Softimage to Houdini guides

216619   335   9
655 posts
Typos fixed on both guides 8 & 9.

Please redownload (nothing major though)

Halfdan, you may want to publish these two again.
655 posts
Ok, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!!! WOWWOWOWO

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/22l2sx82m75buxj/H-0buUQAUP [dropbox.com]

Compositing 1 & 2 ready.

HoudiniGuides_Chapter10_compositing_1_Introduction.pdf
HoudiniGuides_Chapter10_compositing_2_Basics.pdf

Enjoy and please don't hesitate to ping me if there are any typos or anything.

thanks
599 posts
jordibares
Typos fixed on both guides 8 & 9.

Please redownload (nothing major though)

Halfdan, you may want to publish these two again.
All published and re-published. Apologies for how long it took.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
1755 posts
Thanks Jordi. I went through the rendering guide. I must confess that I didn't go through all of the guides so my following question could be a reflectance of that fact: do you intend to cover the Houdini's equivalent of XSI's Render Passes? A touchy subject for Softies, I know.

BTW, it seems that a few default vales should be changed in the Mantra PPG:
- sample lock to off
- shutter offset to 0.5
to reflect the most commonly used settings.
387 posts
McNistor
BTW, it seems that a few default vales should be changed in the Mantra PPG:
- shutter offset to 0.5

Actually shutter offset value of 0.5 is more visual preference for animators or for matching motion blur from different software.

But in real life, value of 1 is more correct. E.g. we have static camera, when object stops at the start of the frame (so there is no object motion during the frame to the next frame) camera expose that single static position for whole time of opened shutter, so there isn't any motion blur on the object at all.

If you center the motion blur to the 0.5 then result is that motion from previous frame leaks to the image and couse motion blured edges. But in real life this doesn't occur and your motion blur doesn't match the one in shooted footage correctly.
655 posts
@McNistor
I would surely change the sample lock defaults, not 100% sure everybody will agree with me on the shutter offset.

@pezetco
You are right considering not to offset to imitate what would happen in real life but as an animator every keyframe has been designed so for me it makes more sense to do centred motion blur. Specially when integrating with live action.

Ultimately there will be cases you want to consider as individual solutions but my general approach is to do the offset.

hope it makes sense.
1755 posts
@pezetko You're right about real cameras, but considering what Jordi said, maybe a few presets would be handy.

@Jordi did you just intentionally ignored my question about a render passes equivalent/approach in Houdini?
655 posts
Forgot about it… Check the general concepts section (the first one) as there is a lengthy discussion and approach on how to set up something on these lines.

Unfortunately in Houdini overrides are not propagated like XSI and takes are object centric so you won't be doing the same. :-(

But the good thing is that the Houdini way brings a lot of extras so you may be mistaken thinking you are going backwards, you may loose some amazing power but you can get other amazing power in exchange so it is not that hard after all.

hope it helps
jb

:-)
655 posts
Well, sneaking on my holidays to finish soon the Compositing chapter so here goes the image processing part 1

HoudiniGuides_Chapter10_compositing_3_ImageProcessingI.pdf

Enjoy
スタッフ
5156 posts
If you instead use opimg/ingest/OUT_ROTOSCOPE there won't be any update issues with regards to playback. The texture image cache was changed for a bug in mantra, and the net result is that textures with static map names don't update all that well for COPs anymore (which uses the same cache).
1755 posts
ALright, thanks Jordi, I'll take a look.
655 posts
I will test and amend…

That would be amazing as this is one of those things I really needed fixed!

:-)))

thanks

twod
If you instead use opimg/ingest/OUT_ROTOSCOPE there won't be any update issues with regards to playback. The texture image cache was changed for a bug in mantra, and the net result is that textures with static map names don't update all that well for COPs anymore (which uses the same cache).
655 posts
Updated. THANKS @twod
655 posts
Finally, the last part for compositing is now online.

HoudiniGuides_Chapter10_compositing_3_ImageProcessingII.pdf

Also I did wrap the chapter 10 and consolidated all the material so please if you see any typo, mistake, etc… don't hesitate to email me.

HoudiniGuides_Chapter10_compositing.pdf

I will be putting together the very last guide over the next day or two and that will be it.

Of course I will publish a big version with everything in one single PDF so I will ask you Halfdan to help me with that too.

Regarding the ICE equivalent (VOPs chapter) once I am back from holidays and with the help of a good friend of mine we will be putting together that guide which I am afraid I don't feel I am ready 100% so please be patient.

From sunny Jerez, enjoy.
4189 posts
Nice work Jordi - feels like I'm ready to start using XSI
655 posts
I though about that too… may be you all are learning XSI too!!!

;-)

MartybNz
Nice work Jordi - feels like I'm ready to start using XSI
599 posts
jordibares
Also I did wrap the chapter 10 and consolidated all the material so please if you see any typo, mistake, etc… don't hesitate to email me.

HoudiniGuides_Chapter10_compositing.pdf
It's now copied onto the SESI site.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
655 posts
Thanks so much Halfdan.

Final guide (more a conclusion thing + bye bye thing) now online.

:-)

I will be working on the VEX/VOPs for a bit so the update will come later down the line as I explained.

In the meantime I feel this could be the first version.

Thanks for the attention and will be back hopefully soon.

HoudiniGuides_Chapter11_conclusion.pdf
655 posts
Since quite a lot of people have approached me to either donate or ask for a published version of these guides I have been thinking in revisiting the Houdini Guides and extend them with rich media, high quality images, interactive graphics, etc…

But of course such a task will require some extra time so may be once the next release is out I could also upgrade them.

Anyway, I will ask you to please help me out filing this survey to try to understand if there is interest out there and how that should be put together.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JQTXZTY [surveymonkey.com]

Thanks in advance.
1265 posts
What was the outcome of the survey Jordi?
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
  • Quick Links