What To Do Before Houdini 15 Arrives

2320   2   1
63 posts
Hi, I just saw the trailer for Houdini 15, and I think I've become another ex-MAYA convert. My question first though is: I noticed that there are going to be changes to the API/devkit and since I wanted to do some scripting/coding for Houdini, being a rigger. Would it be better for me to wait on learning to code/script in Houdini until 15 hits the market? Are the current beginner tutorials still important for learning to use the upcoming Houdini 15 release?

PS: My apologies, if I should have posted this in the “Learning Houdini” forum instead…
678 posts
Learn how to use Houdini first, before you touch any code in it. It's a node based application for a reason.
スタッフ
3455 posts
if you're just starting to get into Houdini there is nothing that has changed in 14 > 15 that will affect you at all…

if you're a rigger I'd try to learn Houdini's way of rigging/character work first before you start writing code of any kind (python/vex/c++) - DO NOT believe that because you have to write a 1000 lines of mel/python in Maya to build the rig you want that you have to do the same in Houdini….there may be times when Houdini doesn't do what you are used to doing in another app but it's best to discover that as you go than the assume it's always true.

please go through the docs/tutorials/masterclasses etc and just goof around in Houdini making bone chains and capturing geometry and having a look at the included characters

then when you're ready to rig a character just go for it with the included tools and please post any questions/issues you have to the forums or through the support page (Support > Submit Bugs and RFEs)
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links