Smoke not behaving like I want it to.

3773   4   1
177 posts
Not sure what's going on with this. But my smoke looks like it's exploding out, not what I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsIfqgC4WIs&feature=youtu.be [youtube.com]

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Attachments:
wall_crumble_testing_v3_v002.hiplc (1.2 MB)

Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
2555 posts
For less explosive smoke dive into your smoke node and on the create_density_volume node, under the Scalar Volumes tab change the method to Build SDF From Geometry. Then, below on the SDF From Geometry tab turn off Minimum Distance and Empty Interior.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
702 posts
I did a few things…maybe its the result you like or maybe not …

I converted the fracture geos and used the edges to generate the dust, I also set the density released much lower, too much density will help push the smoke outward to satisfy the pressure solve, I set the forces tab on the pyro solver to allow gravity to influence the smoke and set the buoyancy to balance the effect of gravity vs rising smoke

Attachments:
wall_crumble_testing_v3_v002_mod.hiplc (1.2 MB)

177 posts
Thanks Enivob and Sidenimjay,

I tried Enivob's suggestion of using Build SDF from Geometry, and that seemed to work pretty well.

Sidenimjay, I'm still learning Houdini and wondering the reasoning behind converting the fracture geos and using the edges to generate the smoke. Is it to use less ‘surface area’ to generate the Pyro Smoke?

I noticed you added a convert, divide and resample node to my Smoke node. It appears that is leaving only the front faces.

I know in Houdini there are MANY ways to do something, and that's part of what makes it so difficult to learn.

I really appreciate your input and suggestions.

Jim
Reel Inpsirations
Houdini Work in Progress [vimeo.com]
702 posts
Jim, I just used the edges to limit where the smoke emission happens..imo, in reality, the dust would mostly be coming from the cracked edges rather than emitting from the entire volume of the chunk

this helps reduce the overall amount of smoke produced which in turn helps keep the expansion to a minimum, since the density tends to move to the lower pressure areas

converting the geos give a better representation of the shape as opposed to the single point stamp method from a packed prim. once converted the divide sop leaves just the unshared edges and the resample gives a smoother result in the volume source sop without having too large a sample radius which would bloat the edge
  • Quick Links