Grooming Tools: Lift Hair & Hair Coloring Question

3780   4   1
333 posts
Hi,
this is the first time I am doing some more serious hair work in Houdini and I cant seem to get the Lift Brush from the grooming tools to have any effect.
Could anyone showcase some example how the brush works or what to look for when it does not seem to work at all?

I checked the Webinar with Oldscool Jeff and when he tried to use the Lift Brush it also didnt seem to have any effect?

I hope someone can clarify a bit since at the moment i struggle pushing the hair away from the skin. Whatever setting I use nothing seems to happen.

Another question I had was regarding the baseColor attribute. There is a shelf tool that sets this up so i thought cool I can just paint the color of my hair on the skin. However this baseColor attribute will get overwritten by the grooming Tools and wont be picked up by the hair shader? I had to use an attribute Transfer to transfer the color from the skin to the hair on @Cd.

What would be the correct way to color the hair by painting?
4189 posts
Lift used to work very easily - so it's probably just a bug.
702 posts
for the hair color, you can do it at the skin level using the following attributes:

rootDiffuseColor and tipDiffuseColor if you are using a separate tip color
333 posts
sidenimjay
for the hair color, you can do it at the skin level using the following attributes:

rootDiffuseColor and tipDiffuseColor if you are using a separate tip color

thanks this seem to have worked.

once i made some adjustments last night i could not get it to work again. It showed up in the viewport but not in render. Weird.
However for some reason I have the first one working again now without attribute transfer but with that @rootDiffuseColor. I have to do some more testing and report back.

ps: still cant get the lift brush to work… Tested it on a simple sphere planting some guides and it does not work. Will have to report to sidefx.
4189 posts
Doudini
ps: still cant get the lift brush to work… Tested it on a simple sphere planting some guides and it does not work. Will have to report to sidefx.

We have lift-off! Now working in H15.5.532.
  • Quick Links