QT4 vs QT5

15333   5   3
323 posts
Hi there,
i noticed the QT4 version today. What are the differences between QT4 and the normal i guess QT5 versions?
Why is there a QT4 version?
Is the QT5 version faster?

thanks

Olaf
スタッフ
5156 posts
The Qt5 version is “the way forward” and has more modern features (eg. high-dpi and touch support). Qt4 is there for compatibility reasons, to allow users with many Qt scripts time to migrate to Qt5.
84 posts
This is awesome and will help us a lot covering the duration until all major dcc applications are vfx platform compatible. How long do you intend on supporting the extra build?
Also, do you expect to offer this for all daily build or just the production builds?

Thanks again,
Carsten
carsten kolve - ds @ image engine
スタッフ
1255 posts
Hi Carsten,

The Qt4 builds will exist for the lifetime of Houdini 16.0 but there's no guarantee that they will exist in the next major or minor release (i.e. > H16.0). That will depend on the adoption rate by studios/users among other things.

And yes Qt4 will be available for daily builds and not just production builds. If you go to the main Houdini download page and scroll to the bottom you will see the Daily Builds button. Click on that and then on the daily builds page click on the “Houdini Qt4” filter button at the top to see the Qt4 daily builds.

Cheers,
Rob
84 posts
Thanks for clarifying!
carsten kolve - ds @ image engine
379 posts
I am using KDE Neon, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and it is using latest QT but I am not able to start Houdini, only QT4 version. Other QT5 apps I am using are working just fine. Anyone experiencing this?
  • Quick Links