Selection extract in context

1789   4   2
31 posts
Hello guys,

In box modeling, sometimes you want to duplicate poly selection on spot and continue from there with your modeling. This saves time with alignment and such.. In Houdini you can duplicate poly selection easily but this duplicate is attached to the source geometry. If I need to change the source geometry later on, this will affect my copy as well.

I found a way to detach the copy from the source using a locked blast with invert selection and then I merge back the result. I can even detach the blast node from the source and it's working. In this way I can alter my original source mesh without worrying about indexes changing.

I am wandering if there's a more elegant way to do this kind of stuff. Maybe a new primitive node which accepts poly/point selection as input and then disconnects from it's source. Btw, I am creating everything in context in Houdini.
Edited by rpopovici - 2017年3月21日 11:09:12
31 posts
Same question was asked here https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/41412/ [sidefx.com] but duplicating alone is not detaching the selection from source object. At least this is not happening in H16. I want to extract in context and detach from original source.
18 posts
Hi ! Still looking for a solution to this problem !
Did you find a way to do it without breaking your hand and wasting your time in houdini ?
333 posts
Pacman972
Hi ! Still looking for a solution to this problem !
Did you find a way to do it without breaking your hand and wasting your time in houdini ?
You're replying to a 5 year old thread.

You can accomplish this with a Split SOP and then merging back with the original geometry. They'll be separate streams that you can edit individually without affecting the other.

18 posts
eikonoklastes
You're replying to a 5 year old thread.

You can accomplish this with a Split SOP and then merging back with the original geometry. They'll be separate streams that you can edit individually without affecting the other.

Thank you for your answer ! Indeed i'm replying to a 5 years old thread, because no solution was found.
I'll try your process ! Thank you
  • Quick Links