Simple DOP scene and RAM management

1470   1   1
101 posts
Hi everyone,
I have a relatively simple scene (see attached file) , width a DOP sim; trying to simulate some jellyfishes using cloth and a wire solver. I also use a sop solver to control the jellyfishes movements.

The issue is with RAM management : during simulation, Houdini keeps on consuming memory until it hits the ceiling and crashes, even if I limit cache_memory to 1024 MB on the DopNetwork node.

My PC has only 16 Gigs of RAM, and maybe that's part of the problem. I find Houdini is usually great at managing it's memory during sims. I don't understand what is different in this scene.

Attachments:
jellyfish.hiplc (530.3 KB)

https://vimeo.com/user43710534 [vimeo.com]
2551 posts
Yeah, that is one messy file. My guess is that you are leaking memory by design. You are fetching loop iteration outside of the loop then pumping that back into the loop. Don't do that.

Throwing everything into one node always leads to spaghetti like logic.

Break your scene into several more simple nodes then create another node to combine the pieces logically. For instance, create the jelly fish. Then animate the jellyfish. Perhaps cache the animation then further process or duplicate out more jellyfish.

Just a suggestion.

Also I would remove that Instant Meshes bridge from the scene. If you need to re-topologize the mesh you just made, do so outside of Houdini using the Instant Meshes program, then use a File node to bring that back into your setup.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
  • Quick Links