extruded font with rounded edges?

6096   6   3
176 posts
I can't seem to figure out how to get nice rounded edges with 3D text in houdini.

It seems that all the normal SOPs for making edges beveled, or smoothed, divided, or subdivided, just don't work the best with font SOPs, especially when they are extuded.

try making a Font SOP, (try Bezier type for font sop, its good to start w/Extrude SOP)

thanks for any help….this simple problem is way harder than it first seemed
225 posts
I'm assuming you are converting to polygons prior to beveling,
Make sure to append a fuse sop before you bevel. By default the top faces are cusped

Bevels working fine for otherwise
cheers
7035 posts
The Extrude SOP takes in a second input, which is a curve for bevelling. It's really quite cool, you can animate your bevels for extra interesting effects.

Basically, draw a curve that starts at 0,0,0 and goes up in Y and out in X. Feed that in the right side of the Extrude SOP. Now you can go back and play with the curve interactively and see the bevel effect.

Cheers,

Peter B
スタッフ
2540 posts
Help card example for the Extrude SOP. Press the help on the parms and load in the example file. It shows you how to add bevels. The nodes even have very nice comments.

Did I mention the help card examples? You could have answered this yourself in mere minutes by using the help card examples.

Doesn't ANYONE use the help card examples? As far as I am concerned this is the ONLY way to learn how to use the various operators to their full extent.

I would love it for users to tell us when there isn't a help card example for a particular node or a particular use is not highlighted. It is pretty simple for me to wrap one up and get it in there for the next release.

Remember to check out the help card examples. :wink: Lots of work went in to create them so use them. So what if most of them use tubes, grids, spheres and the utah teapot. ops:

-jeff
There's at least one school like the old school!
7035 posts
Wire capture/deform, no help card examples ;(
176 posts
ah! nice! thank you guys for the quickness!!!!!!!! Those helpcards are definetly useful as well as Peters tip on the second input of the extrude!

thanks
D
スタッフ
2540 posts
I will get the wire capture/deform example help cards to documentation.
> H9
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links