Fixing normals

2441   5   0
13 posts
Ok, so I have this problem that I can't seem to solve without going in manually.

I have a set of rings and they all have a group for the gems.

But some of the gems have their normals reversed.

I can use the reverse node and it fixes them but it then it breaks the correct normals.

I have been trying to find a way of making a group for the gems which have the normals reversed on so can I reverse those only.

The clean sop and poly doctor (using reverse winding) had no use on this along with the fuse sop.

I have also tried splitting the graph and having a reversed and non reversed version and seeing if there was a way to compare them and make one good piece of geo.

I also tried to use the visualiser node to create colours from the normals then group by colour but that did not work either.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help

Edited by TOM-CGI - 2019年9月15日 16:55:05

Attachments:
problem_geo.JPG (107.2 KB)

7762 posts
try the winding number sop. It is the only procedural method I know of for categorizing a closed manifold's orientation.

In your case, I wonder how the shapes are ending up reversing in the first place. Is this an imported model that was built without regard for handedness?
13 posts
jsmack
try the winding number sop. It is the only procedural method I know of for categorizing a closed manifold's orientation.

In your case, I wonder how the shapes are ending up reversing in the first place. Is this an imported model that was built without regard for handedness?

The model was created in Rhino and exported as fbx
13 posts
fixed it with boolean

Attachments:
fixed.JPG (402.3 KB)

8549 posts
https://forums.odforce.net/topic/43417-procedurally-reverse-objects/?tab=comments#comment-205562 [forums.odforce.net]
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
13 posts
tamte
https://forums.odforce.net/topic/43417-procedurally-reverse-objects/?tab=comments#comment-205562 [forums.odforce.net]

Thanks, Tomas that's just what I was looking for!
  • Quick Links