Transfer position of 2D mesh to 3d mesh

2887   7   1
118 posts
Is there a way in Houdini to transfer the position of 2D geometry to a 3D position?

I am trying to replicate this tutorial in Houdini, and it at some point you have take the exported 2D mesh from Marvelous Designer, retopo, transfer UVs and then basically shrink wrap it onto the original posed object.

Here is a link to the tutorial. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/zZOOL [www.artstation.com]

I have tried taking using a Morph, with not that great results since the meshes don't have the same topology. My usual way was creating new topology based on the pose geometry.
670 posts
Hi Glen,

after splitting your mesh along its UV seams you can set the world positions to UV coordinates:

v@P = vertex(0, 'uv', @vtxnum);

After retopology you can transfer the positions back respective to the original UV map:

v@P = uvsample(1, 'P', 'uv', v@P);

Attachments:
UV_transfer.hipnc (242.2 KB)

https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
118 posts
Hi Konstantin,
Thanks for the file, it really helped. This is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Marvelous exports the geo with the UV as a Point attribute, I just had to create an attribute promote node for the uv. This was very helpful, I really appreciate the help!

Glen
2 posts
Konstantin Magnus
Hi Glen,

after splitting your mesh along its UV seams you can set the world positions to UV coordinates:

After retopology you can transfer the positions back respective to the original UV map:

Hi,I'm a beginner and right now I'm learning vops, is there a way to do this via vops?
Edited by animhamed - 2023年10月4日 16:28:05
1 posts
animhamed
Hi,I'm a beginner and right now I'm learning vops, is there a way to do this via vops?

You could use a snippet vop but it still requires the code above, you're better off using a wrangle in this case - there's no equivalent vop for uvsample vex function.
Procedural Tools @ SMS
4522 posts
animhamed
Konstantin Magnus
Hi Glen,

This VEX function doesn't exist as a VOP node. You have to use Snippet VOPand use the VEX function if you want to stay in VOPs.
Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
670 posts
You can also bypass both VEX and VOPs by combining the Ray node with the Attribute Interpolate node.

Attachments:
UV_transfer_02.hip (262.1 KB)

https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
8 posts
This thread has been extremely useful in setting up a tool to import Marvelous Designer geometry, retopoing flat, transfering back to the original or a different posed 3D geometry but with same UVs. I was wondering how would it be possible to then detail the mesh more, say inside of ZBrush, by editing, detailing, sculpting and more to then transfer to a different pose of the 3D Mesh.
Right now im trying to setup a workflow for garment where a T-Posed garment is retopoed and detailed with also sub divs to then apply to many different poses of the same 3D geometry. So that i dont have to retopo, re detail each time.
Thanks in advance

Alex
  • Quick Links