Selling HDA on UE4 Marketplace

5574   12   4
17 posts
With the super cool announcement: https://www.sidefx.com/community/houdini-engine-for-unreal-and-unity/ [www.sidefx.com]

Would it be possible to make a really cool HDA and sell it on the Epic Marketplace?
スタッフ
1182 posts
That would be fantastic and something that we would love to see - just remember that you will need to create it using a commercial version of Houdini to make sure the HDA file works with the new plug-ins.

Robert
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
2 posts
If I use HDA Asset in the Starter kit for unreal, and all changes are make in unreal. Do I still need to purchase commercial license if I am making a commercial game?
スタッフ
1182 posts
No the starter kit assets are free to use in commercial projects. You can even open up the asset in Houdini Core or FX and make changes to it then use that custom asset in your game. We are providing those assets to help you in your work.
Robert Magee
SideFX
スタッフ
1182 posts
1manarmyworkshop
If I use HDA Asset in the Starter kit for unreal, and all changes are make in unreal. Do I still need to purchase commercial license if I am making a commercial game?

In case I misunderstood your question. The free Houdini Engine for Unreal license is a commercial license and can be used to make a commercial game. I was referencing the assets themselves which are made available for use in your projects.

The place where you might need to buy a Houdini license is if you want to make your own custom assets. Then Houdini Core or FX would be needed.
Edited by rmagee - 2021年3月1日 09:26:07
Robert Magee
SideFX
1 posts
hey rob! i own indie my hads can be used by others using free hou engine?
54 posts
Hope this thread isn't too
rmagee
1manarmyworkshop

In case I misunderstood your question. The free Houdini Engine for Unreal license is a commercial license and can be used to make a commercial game. I was referencing the assets themselves which are made available for use in your projects.

The place where you might need to buy a Houdini license is if you want to make your own custom assets. Then Houdini Core or FX would be needed.

Robert Magee, I've made a sand dune simulator I'm looking to sell through gumroad. I have a Houdini Indie license and when save out the dune simulator HDA's they save in a .hda library. I'm wondering if I sell these hda setup will FX license holders be able to use them? Does making them black box assets affect this? How can I tell what license a hda file has?

Thanks!
7 posts
I feel like I'm a couple steps behind on this topic, trying to catch up.
I'm upgrading from Apprentice to Indie. Can I sell HDA's made in Indie? Where can I sell them? And what limitations do they have?
thank you,
Derek
Thanks for the help!
1 posts
djfite97
I feel like I'm a couple steps behind on this topic, trying to catch up.
I'm upgrading from Apprentice to Indie. Can I sell HDA's made in Indie? Where can I sell them? And what limitations do they have?
thank you,
Derek

I also had this problem but didn't get any help
スタッフ
1182 posts
We spoke with Epic and they are not ready to host Houdini Assets in the marketplace right now - they don't have the means to validate the assets and that is a necessary part of there process.

You can post Indie assets to Orbot and designate them for Unreal and they will be converted into commercial assets - you can then set a price for different levels of Houdini.
Robert Magee
SideFX
スタッフ
1182 posts
ThiagoBolinhoLaranjeira
hey rob! i own indie my hads can be used by others using free hou engine?

They can use the free Houdini Engine Indie licenses in Unreal but must be indie users to get that license.

Indie files cannot be opened with commercial licenses including the free Houdini Engine for Unreal. Licenses must stay in their own ecosystem.
Robert Magee
SideFX
スタッフ
1182 posts
Barrett Meeker
Robert Magee, I've made a sand dune simulator I'm looking to sell through gumroad. I have a Houdini Indie license and when save out the dune simulator HDA's they save in a .hda library. I'm wondering if I sell these hda setup will FX license holders be able to use them? Does making them black box assets affect this? How can I tell what license a hda file has?

If you sell them through Orbolt then the indie files will be converted into commercial files. If you sell through gum road then you can only sell to indie users.
Robert Magee
SideFX
7 posts
Thank you Robert for the reply. That is helpful to know.
Best,
Derek
Thanks for the help!
  • Quick Links