Exporting animated deforming geometry from Houdini to Unity

1146   1   0
207 posts
Hi;

I have a simple animation of a Tube in houdini; I'm modulating the height and radius of the tube with some keyframes. I would like to export this animation from houdini and bring it into Unity, preferably without going through Houdini Engine.

How should I do this?

I have tried using an FBX rop and an Alembic rop to export my animated geometry to disk. When I re-import the files in houdini, both do indeed animate as I expect. But importing into Unity just produces still geometry (or, at least, it's not clear to me how to get it to move. There's even a note in the controls of the FBX import that says "No animation found").

I can't find any documentation that suggests I should be doing something special here (e.g. caching out per-frame geometry before trying this). Both the Unity and Houdini docs seem to imply I should expect this to work just fine; I'm curious what I'm missing.
8613 posts
I assume FBX in Unity supports mostly skeletal animation and blendshapes, not sure if it supports vertex caches like the one you created

however Alembic should wor fine as long as you control Time of Alembic Stream Player component in any of the ways mentioned here
https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.formats.alembic@2.3/manual/playback.html
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links