Solaris - SopModify geo disappearing after polyreducing

1477   3   2
11 posts
Hello SideFX forum folks,

Looking for some workflow help in regards to Solaris + SopModify. After heavily polyreducing some geo in the SopModify context, the edited geo doesn't show up back in the Solaris main view. I figured this might be a prim "path" and/or "usdpath" attribute issue, but either old or no geo (see screenshots) shows up when I try to manually add the same "path" attrib.

Any ideas on the "right" workflow for this? I'm trying to use Solaris, not OBJ, as the primary context for Layout for this project, so any help on this type of workflow would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments:
Solaris_SopModify_A.png (4.0 MB)
Solaris_SopModify_B.png (4.5 MB)
Solaris_SopModify_C.png (3.9 MB)

Lead Unreal Technical Artist @ Silver Spoon Animation (part of AE.Live) // portfolio: realtimemark.fun // artstation: @mmmark
11 posts
Attached is a trimmed example file of the issue im having. Toggle the Switch to see both "either old or no geo shows up when I try to manually add the same "path" attrib" issues.

Attachments:
Solaris_SopModify_D.png (2.4 MB)
Solaris_SopModify_Help.zip (4.8 MB)

Lead Unreal Technical Artist @ Silver Spoon Animation (part of AE.Live) // portfolio: realtimemark.fun // artstation: @mmmark
スタッフ
733 posts
In the scene graph tree there is a /sopmodify3/Mesh0 prim overlaid, which means that you're not overlaying the modifications over the original prims and the name / path attribute is being lost
I'm guessing that's happening from the remesh, since the input geometry has a path attribute that disappears after the file cache?

In the sopmodify that is updating the path attribute, there are still some prims that have an empty path if you look in the geometry spreadsheet
11 posts
Thanks for the reply cwhite. I took another look at the Geometry Spreadsheet and manually copy+pasted both the name + path attributes (not just "path") from the geometry before the polyreduce. The "geo disappearing outside of SopModify context" issue still persists though...

A very helpful person on the ThinkProcedural Discord server (solaris_stage_lops) ended up solving this. Turns out you can simply CopyAttribute path + usdxform, with the latter attribute fixing the "geo disappearing" issue.

See the attached updated zip for a working sample file.
Edited by mmmark - 2023年2月8日 21:44:57

Attachments:
Solaris_SopModify_E.png (1.6 MB)
Solaris_SopModify_F.png (1.6 MB)
Solaris_SopModify_Help.zip (4.9 MB)

• Quick Links