houdini poor FPS with kineFX and joint deform

932   4   2
11 posts
hi,
im doing some houdini animation rnd and tutorials, but what im experiencing is very poor performance whenever i have even simple setup with bone/joint deforms
and i've noticed that even on videotutorials people have no fps drops whenever manipulating the rig,
since its animation, output performance of houdini is very important
and im doing it on quite decent rig with ryzen 9 and 2070rtx on board

in case attachemnt doesnt work link is for dropbox quicktime movie

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrht7y0wekk11py/kineFXlowFPS.mov?dl=0 [www.dropbox.com]

Image Not Found

Attachments:
kineFXlowFPS.mov (2.0 MB)

8582 posts
it's most likely because you are using normal map in the viewport, which needs proper tangents, and if the MikkT tangents re not present on the geo it needs to compute them every time geo updates

H19+ can use precomputed tangentu or tangentv if exists on the geo
The viewport shaders will now use tangentu or tangentv to define the tangent space for normal maps if they are present (along with vertex normals).

so you can
- make sure you have vertex N attribute on your skin geo (or create it using Normal SOP)
- append Polyframe SOP (Style: MikkT) to create tangentu attribute
- and then append Jointdeform and type tangentu in Other Attributes so that it's deformed with it
Edited by tamte - 2023年3月17日 16:37:10
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
11 posts
thanks for quick answer,

eighter im doing something wrong or only disabling normal map from shader works.

anyway, its not very friendly for animators to even think that massive FPS drop is caused by loading a normal map (which happens automaticly if they follow even official sideFx tutorials )

edit: i didnt recognized that MikkT is an option in tangentu, i thought its a someones nickname , it seems to work with tangentU and normal map loaded
Edited by sadaih - 2023年3月17日 17:21:15
8582 posts
sadaih
anyway, its not very friendly for animators to even think that massive FPS drop is caused by loading a normal map (which happens automaticly if they follow even official sideFx tutorials
it definitely is not, but it's what seems to be necessary to do currently or already have present in the rig

sadaih
i thought its a someones nickname
it does sound like it probably because it's based on someone's name, Morten S. Mikkelsen author of the Mikk Tangent Space so MikkT is a short for that
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
253 posts
if you add a polyframe node to the geometry just before the bonedeform and set to primitive / mikkt mode it will add the correct utangent to the geo. Add that attribute to the 'also deform these attributes' parm on de deform node and fps will be 10x faster.

edit: just saw this was mentioned earlier in the thread.. anyways I can confirm this works and am also quite puzzled this isn't made clear to the user.
Edited by Jonathan de Blok - 2023年3月17日 19:04:55
More code, less clicks.
  • Quick Links