Overriding Unpacked Primitives

462   2   1
129 posts
Hi!

I'm working on a film where we have animation USDs exported from Maya with temp hair and cloth. The CFX department then overrides the hair and cloth primitives with the simulation geometry, and thus we maintain the materials and the USD set-up.

However, Maya doesn't add point velocities on export (if we could figure out how to do that, it would be great of course, so if anyone knows, let me know). So, in order to get proper motion blur, the lighting department is having to unpack the entire /anim primitive and use a trail to add point velocities. This is becoming prohibitively slow (around an hour for 35 frames, and it will often seg-fault just a few frames before it finishes). So we'd prefer to add point velocities earlier in the pipeline so that we don't have to do it every time we want to submit a render.

If the animation department uses a SOP modify in Solaris to add point velocities to the animation, all the primitives under the /anim primitive seem to stay the same, however the CFX department is no longer able to override the temp geo (it simply doesn't work..., there are no error hints or anything that indicate what might be going on).

Any thoughts on our workflow? Are there some settings that we're missing?

Thanks!
Anson
Edited by AnsonSavage - 2024年1月24日 13:01:18
31 posts
There is instance blur, then the motion blur node has compute velocity, can this combo works for your case ?
スタッフ
4438 posts
I don't know how you're composing all these opinions, but my best guess is that the anim dept is (accidentally) authoring opinions that are ending up stronger than the CFX opinions and masking the changes CFX is trying to make. You might want to look at the layer stack in the scene graph details pane to see what layers are contributing opinions to the geometry that CFX is trying (and failing) to override. Then you'll probably have to adjust your Anim tooling to avoid publishing these unintended stronger opinions.
  • Quick Links