Husk holding exr open during post-frame script

572   5   0
14 posts
Hello:
I'm attempting to inject some metadata and otherwise manipulate the exr rendered by prman in a --post-frame script. But, the command is failing as it seems husk/prman is still writing to the file. If I stat the file in the post-frame script it has a file size about 1k less than after husk finishes and returns to the terminal. (lsof also reports the file is still open by husk) This seems to happen when I have more than one render product. Is it expected that the exr's should be cleanly closed by the time the post-frame script is run? I also see the same issue in the post-render script.
Thank you!

rocky linux 8
houdini 19.5.506
prman 25.2
スタッフ
2591 posts
Are you using the rasterproductType or something different?
14 posts
mark

Sorry, the productType is 'openexr'. That seems to be what renderman defaulted to in their rendersettings HDA. I can try changing that to raster to see if it helps.
14 posts
mark

It looks like using 'raster' does close the files. Oddly enough, the issue I was running into was trying to convert the exr's to multipart using openexr's 'exrmultipart -convert' but it looks like if I set the productType to raster, it's already writing them to multipart exr's with each channel being a part.

I'll see if I can stick with using 'raster' as the product type but I'm not sure what other ramifications (denoiser) that might have with prman and why they used openexr.

But, not sure if using 'openexr' and the files still being open is a bug or not? Or, if it's pixar's issue?

Thank you for the help though!
スタッフ
2591 posts
The raster productType is saved out by husk, the openexr is saved out by the prman delegate.

There was a fairly recent improvement to saving multiparts from husk, so you may want to upgrade to the fixed version if you haven't already.
14 posts
mark
The raster productType is saved out by husk, the openexr is saved out by the prman delegate.

There was a fairly recent improvement to saving multiparts from husk, so you may want to upgrade to the fixed version if you haven't already.

Thanks! We IP moving to H20 but still updating everything to vfxplatform '23. I'll ping pixar about the delegate and see if they are aware and see if switching to raster has any unwanted side effects.
  • Quick Links