Esther Trilsch


About Me

Esther Trilsch is a Senior Character TD at SideFX. She started her career as a character TD apprentice at Walt Disney Animation Studios working on Zootopia, and worked at RiseFX as a Character Supervisor and Pipeline TD. Combining her focus for both the creative side of anatomy and deformation, as w...  more


Berlin, Germany

Houdini Skills

Character Rigging  | Animation


Not Specified

My Talks

obj-image Houdini HIVE
H20 APEX | Rigging

Recent Forum Posts

APEX Set Point Transforms Question 2024年2月19日9:24

The set point transforms node is very handy everythin on a run time setup (aka your resulting rig) where performance is key. It will set all the tranform values for a given skeleton in one go. The given variadic input ports need to match with their name the given joint that the xform is supposed to affect. You are right though in case of a component script you actually need a different node. You can use can achieve the same right now with 2 nodes. skel::FindJoint --> that one gives you the joint num based on a given name string. That one can be easily promoted as a component script input. then you use the ptnum that you just got together with skel::UpdateJoint. Here you can now now update your xform value

I will add to our todo list that we add a single skel::SetPointTransform callback that allows to set a sing transform based on a name input, just to be in symmetry with skel::GetPointTransform and to make those steps a bit more convenient.

APEX Control Extract - no data 2024年2月5日17:06

alrighty i checked out the file.
The APEX Control Extract node seems to be doing what its supposed to to do. And so does control update.
The problem that you are running into seems to be more connected with the orientations of the joints of your animation skeleton. I can see that the orientation from your animation from frame 1 which you use for the rest is very different to frame2. You can see this very clearly on the hip control. The control is not rotating up as expected. That means that the default rotation offset that you are defining with the rigmatchpose this off, the translations countering that apparently though in your input animation thats why it looks as if its correct. As soon as you visualize the orientation axis of the joints though you can see it.

The problem just gets visually enforced by controls that just have their rotation promoted. That means that just the mismatched rotation will get updated but the translation that counters it at least a bit can not be set. That explains those big offsets.

So the best place to start is to looks whats going on with the rotation of your input animation I think.
I really hope that helps

Sharing some quaternion functions in APEX 2024年1月23日9:11

Ah cool. I will have a look and I will see that we add them to our callback todo list