Jonathan de Blok

Jonathan de Blok

About Me

Not Specified
Not Specified


Recent Forum Posts

simple 3d-Text? March 11, 2019, 11:20 a.m.

there is a node named font

Thread Necromancer level 100 achieved!

[python] Some issues working with keyframes March 11, 2019, 3:39 a.m.

I'd like to store some persistent data on parm's keyframes and there is no ‘official’ way of adding meta data to them so I figured I'd abused the expression for it, like so:

bezier() + 0 *(1 + 2 + 3 + 4)

A bit hackish but it has no influence on the keyframe's behavior and I can get the expression string and parse the 1,2,3 and 4 out of it for later use.

So far so good.. but I'm workings with selected keys in the animation editor which loses the selection when you use the setExpression() method from a keyframe (only when it actually changes value, so when setting an expression to ‘bezier()’ that already is ‘bezier()’ the selection will stick)

So I thought, what ever I'll just store the selection and re-select them again after setting the expressions. But there is no way to do that afaik.

So in short:
-It would be great it we could add custom persistent metadata to keyframes (I've put in a RFE for it)
-Make keyframe selection stick when changing it's expression through python
-Ability to select keyframes in animation editor/playbar using python.

If anyone knows a better way using existing functions to do this I'd love to know!

Modeling primarily in Houdini Jan. 31, 2019, 4:22 p.m.

@gfxfx: I'm not sure I agree with that. Yes, of course houdini ‘a strength is that it’s procedural to the bone. And because of that it is basically horrible for non procedural stuff, same as destructive software is bad at procedural stuff.

Ideally I don't want to go back to Max for basic modeling and polydraw is a good step in that direction.

There are already quite a few destructive things in Houdini beside modeling. All the paint tools, manual selections, grooming etc. So I don't see the problem to beef up destructive modeling abilities.

And yes, if I'd model dental stuff, or chimneys, all the time I'd make a kickass HDA for it but for one-offs it's really not worth the time. I think it's a good thing to have a workflow choice, use the one best for the job at hand.