Hi guys, some questions related to game development

5134   2   0
2 posts
Hi guys,

Nicolas here, I have a couple of questions related to game development pipeline

Currently I'm using custom and auto-rig options in Softimage combined with Facerobot, in order to have a full game character ready to be exported into Unity or UDK

For both engines I'm exporting in FBX or using ( for UDK ) the ActorX exporter ( .ASE )

I'm quite happy to see that there is an auto-rig tool with Houdini and I saw the video ( not all of them ) related to the Houdini engine combined with Maya and Unity, they're quite amazing

Reading the online docs I can see that FBX export for particle is not supported ( nor in the other package as far as I know ) and from what I understood character animation baking and export into FBX work fine with both Unity and UDK.
Can you confirm that?

Also I would like to ask if you have any plans to support/extend the Houdini engine ( that right now is being developed for Unity ) also for UDK and Cryengine.

That would kick every other package ass if you'll develop something like that

Cheers

Nicolas
21 posts
Hi Nicolas,

We do export animation to FBX. However, the keys may be exported sparse (not baked). You can get the dense (baked) version of the keys through the FBX SDK.

We are keenly aware of the exciting possibilities surrounding an Unreal or CryEngine implementation - but that's all I can say at the moment :-)

cheers,

Ken
2 posts
Ken Xu
Hi Nicolas,

We do export animation to FBX. However, the keys may be exported sparse (not baked). You can get the dense (baked) version of the keys through the FBX SDK.

We are keenly aware of the exciting possibilities surrounding an Unreal or CryEngine implementation - but that's all I can say at the moment :-)

cheers,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the answer.

I'm not too familiar with the FBX SDK, but unless it require tons of scripting ( or its just a “plot animation” button ) I'm fine with it, but please consider the implementation of the bake functionality directly into Houdini

Regarding UDK and Cryengine….if you need a beta tester let me know
  • Quick Links